Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Three Floyds Brewery ~ Munster, Indiana


Now I have tried beers from this fine brewery, though I haven't been to the actual place. In fact, I have yet to have an Indiana beer in Indiana, something that's on one of my lists in the Bier Reise. Hope to rectify that some day.

---

9750 Indiana Parkway, Munster, Indiana 46321 – Tel 219 922 3565

Due to high ABV content, the brain cell containing my first tasting or knowledge of 3 Floyds has been purged. Suffice to say I’ve been enjoying them for a long time, particularly considering the fact that I have lived in Colorado since a year before their founding in 1996; and as of my last knowledge, 3 Floyds still does not distribute to my home state (ed: this is true! I've only had them in Chicago). What I can say, for sure, is that sometime prior to 2012 I was very much aware of 3 Floyds – and I somehow got invited to their ‘after’ party for GABF in either 2012 or 2013. It was a joint affair with True, Surly and one other brewer that pairs its theme with death metal (cannot recall the 4th) – at the Summit Music Hall. I went, because even though I am not a fan of the musical genre (ed: nor I, but love heavy metal as a whole), I am a fan of beer in general, and of 3 Floyds in particular. Here’s why I am a fan of them: they are funny, they make good beer, and they are not afraid of going over the top.

Beer names is a great starting point (and I am skipping most of the broadly distributed brands):

· Arctic Panzer Wolf – Double IPA – 9% ABV, 100 IBU

· Alpha King – American Pale – 6.55 ABV, 68 IBU (ed: has this one!)

· Dark Lord – Russian Imperial Stout - 15% ABV, 50 IBU

· Space Station Middle Finger – American Pale – 6.5% ABV, 58 IBU

· Dismembers Only – Barrel-aged Imperial Milk Stout – 13.5 ABV

· Conquistador – Barrel-aged Milk Stout – 10% ABV

· Floy Division I-II – Experimental Single-Hopped IPA – 7.5 ABV, 80 IBU

(BTW – have had all these, plus most of the broader commercial offerings, and will generally seek out their taps wherever I find them.) More than one of the beers above have either been discontinued or have limited sales dates. Generally, I find they are hop-forward in all their beers, with some really great specialty brews if you can get to the brewery and ask what’s available.

First brewery visit July-Aug 2015, last (really just retail / tasting room) visit June 2022.

- Rude Dante review

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...