Thursday, November 16, 2023

Shake Shack ~ international chain : Colorado Springs, Colorado


Latest visit: Nov 2023 (Colorado Springs)

First visit: May 2022 (Las Vegas airport)

HQ: New York City (Founded: 2001)

Locations: There are 331 locations in the US with 10 in Europe, 41 in the Middle East, and 78 in Asia. There are 10 in Colorado with just this one in the Springs. Texas has 27 (13 in DFW). Closest to our old NE Tarrant home would be Southlake. 

OK, so Shake Shack has finally arrived in Colorado Springs - and naturally up here in Mega Chain Valley. It took awhile to build and get through the bureaucratic red tape. I expected large lines for some time similar to In-N-Out and Whataburger. But I was surprised to find out that only one week after opening, I was the only patron inside with a few cars in the drive-thru. So it was more like Five Guys than the other two, but at least Five Guys were already here, so it was nothing new for denizens of our fine city. So on this Thursday morning before 11 am, I walked in to try Shake Shack for the first time properly. As noted below, airport locations almost don't count. There at the Vegas airport there was a huge line, but that did not translate here despite the hoopla surrounding its opening. And why is that? High prices. Yet another parallel with Five Guys. A double cheeseburger with a chocolate shake is about $17 if you don't include the unearned tip. Which I don't. Inflation and competition is going to prove tough for Shake Shack. Anyway - back to my experience. Shake Shack is very much of the modern way, so you are greeted with about eight computer screens to make your order (you can also order at the counter as well if you wish). I went with the ShackBurger, which is essentially your California burger. Removed the tomato, and remembered to make it a double (note below). And added the shake. Paid up - grabbed the number that I assigned myself, and sat in one of the booths. Not too long after my meal arrived. Service was excellent BTW.

The burger itself was very hot temperature and I enjoyed every bite (I should calculate the cost per bite, but it would be over $1 each I think - funny to think about). Mrs. RJG would have thumbed this one down though. The meat was pink and the bun mushy. Didn't bother me none however. The shake was also delicious and I added whipped cream to ensure a doctor visit would be in order. I didn't go for fries, as the shake provided enough calories as it was.

Conclusion: Almost exactly like Five Guys - too expensive but still very good. I might come back next year, presuming they're still here. Next time will be to-go using the drive-thru. I'm tempted to come back some evening - or weekend - and try their beer as well. We'll see. I fear that my next Shake Shack visit will be elsewhere. The competition is too stiff here and there's not enough dollar to keep them all afloat. For what it's worth, I drove by In-N-Out on the way home. Line around the building. Sorry Shake Shack, but their burgers are 40% your price.

---5/23/22 review

Ah... finally heading back home from the big wedding extravaganza. Same Southwest layover in Vegas, but a different gate area. And it's in the early afternoon, so more options too. I'd heard Shake Shack was coming to Colorado Springs nearby to where we live - exactly where In-N-Out and Whataburger started here as well. Well look at this, there's one here at the airport, and Google Maps tells me it's "less busy than usual". It's a date. Let's get a sneak preview of what's to come here in the Springs.

"Less busy than usual" does not mean "not busy". There was a pretty healthy line to order and even a longer one to gather up your food. We'll just stick to the basics: Two single cheeseburgers with lettuce and one order of fries to split. I also wanted to try their own handcrafted beer (made by Brooklyn Brewery) but they were out.

Shake Shack has managed to get the "hamburger cult following" tag, so it definitely thrives on reputation. It is a very good hamburger - imagine if In-N-Out and Freddy's had a baby. I know - imagining burgers having babies is weird, but c'mon, I've been typing all day here... The fries are of the Ora-Ida crinkle variety. Mrs. RJG loves those. I thought based on the price that the single would be big enough. Silly me - airport prices are insane. A double is much needed for me (a single is perfect for Mrs. RJG though) - once again Freddy's and In-N-Out come to mind here. Shake Shack is not competing with Whataburger, let's put it that way. And when they do get here, I'll have a double and try a shake. I really wanted a beer though, and had one at a nearby bar later. So there. I suspect my experience will increase once we go to a non-airport location and order what we crave.

BTW - the line to order increased tenfold as we were enjoying ours. I think a lot of people want to have a Shake Shack burger but don't live in an area where they exist.

5/23/22 (new entry); 11/16/23

Las Vegas; Colorado Springs

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...