Saturday, May 7, 2022

Pixiu Mala Hongtang ~ Carrollton, Texas


Looks like someone is in the mood for Chinese!

---

This is another restaurant introduced to me by my buddy, The Big Bear! I tried to do a little research on the name, but didn't find too much. I found out that Mala Tang is a Chinese spicy soup but guess first made in Korea (hmm, reminds me of the history of jjamppong, the original hot spicy soup with seafood I fell in love with with Korean and Chinese history). Anyway, this particular restaurant specializes in this soup and on the menu says it is a "re-interpretation" of Mala Tang. It is a DIY place where you get a bowl and take a stroll around the different stations to pick your ingredients. They have one station with several types of mushrooms and fungi including wood ear, lion's mane (my fave), oyster, shitake, and enochi (aka snow puff). They also have skewers of fish balls and shrimp and bacon, a station with many beautiful greens and veggies such as Chinese broccoli, bok choy, regular broccoli, bean sprouts, lotus root and more. Then there is a pasta station with all sorts of noodles from rice to glass and all sorts of shapes too. They also have tofu and a few other soy items to add as well. BE CAREFUL, it is easy to get happy and add WAAY too much to your bowl. Once you fill it, they weigh it and charge by weight. They ask if you want to add meat for $3 (lamb, beef), if you want soup or stir fry and how hot (1-5). They warn you against anything more than 1. I insisted on 2. 1 is plenty hot for most and 2 was plenty hot for me, a heat lover. I might be able to eat 3, but it would be on the edge of more than I want in a big meal. I had soup and Bear had stir fry. The second time I went, I had soup again and Lady Music had stir fry and we shared. I loved doing it that way because I love soup and the broth is very nice. But I also love the stir fry. This way I got some of each. There are a few other choices on the menu, but not sure I will ever get past these items. I loved both and can't wait to go back! We had the onion pancake and it was awesome. They make fried rice too. Another great find for me!

- Mr. Music review

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...