Sunday, June 30, 2024

Samich Shack ~ Colorado Springs, Colorado


Latest visit: Jun 2024

First visit: May 2022

Founded: 2021

It's been just over two years since my inaugural visit to Samich Shack. As I continue to work eastern Colorado Springs for my hobby business, I'm also enjoying places that had fallen out of the rotation mainly due to location. I wanted to try something different from their menu, so I went with the Palmer. This is a meatball sandwich with pepperoni, Italian peppers, and melted cheese. Comes with chips and a pickle spear. In an interesting twist, they offer free beer as well. Today that meant original Coors, which always reminds me why I like craft beer rather than ordinary beer. But it was free, and served well as my glass of water. It's not all that bad honestly, especially since I was thirsty. It also allows me to give a tip when otherwise I'd be in the awkward position of saying no, especially since the guy is holding it right in front of you. Back to the sandwich. Hmmm... the meatballs were good. They're very large, and obviously off the truck. I didn't expect they'd make their own (though they should really). The ingredients mixed well and I like their marinara sauce. The bread needed to be toasted though - at least slightly. It wasn't cold, but just barely warm. Good bread though. I'll probably go back to the Italian as noted below. I enjoyed their outdoor covered park bench seating area (that they were building last time I was here), and there was a nice breeze. The only other option is to eat in the car. No thanks - too pandemic-y for me. Oh, and service was very prompt this time, taking only 5 minutes when last time it was 20. Into the rotation goes Samich Shack. As long as I continue to mine the east that is.

---original 5/27/22 review

I have an old friend from the Midwest that used to get a bang out of calling sandwiches "samiches". Or samies. He would have loved Samich Shack! When you get here you will find quite literally a shack in the parking lot, similar to many coffee places. You can walk up and order, or use the drive through. There's no seating accommodations though it appears they are working on potentially an outdoor patio.

I ordered the Garden of the Gods which is essentially what most shops would call their "Italian". Other than the usual suspects of meats, cheeses, tomato, and lettuce, the key ingredients here would be the unusually fresh French Bread, the garlic aioli, and the "shack sauce". The latter a light creamy based dressing. The sandwich itself was delicious and I could see it being crave worthy. Comes with kettle chips and a pickle spear too. 

On this visit, I had to wait close to 20 minutes for my meal, which is a long time for a simple sandwich. There was only one person in front of me (I did the walkup option). They did apologize and stated that part of the problem was the health inspector was there. But I didn't notice her being that disruptive. At least my sandwich was probably really clean! So I'm not sure if this is a typical problem or it was indeed just the inspection causing the issue. They did say something else caused the delay, but I didn't really catch what it was. In any case, we'll find out on our next visit!

5/27/22 (new entry); 6/29/24

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...