Monday, May 23, 2022

Oggi's Pizza & Brewing ~ California chain: Del Mar


First visit: May 2022 (Del Mar)

Locations: 16 total. 15 of those are in Southern California and 1 in the Phoenix area.

We only had one free night on this trip and sometimes Uncle RJG needs a Regular Joe kinda place to get back to my roots. Since first going to San Diego in 2000, I was tipped that some of the best beach walking is in the small town of Del Mar, just north of the city. From 2000 to 2005, I visited San Diego for business usually once a year if not more. And I always took the time to park the car and get a good walk in. Now 17 years later, I make my first return to San Diego, which must include a walk in Del Mar. On this day, it was cold, cloudy, and windy, but who cares - we're from Colorado right? We then proceeded to walk into the village and enjoy a couple of beers at the WestBrew taproom (captured in the Bier Reise blog). But where to eat? Actually WestBrew would have been a good choice based on what we saw coming out of the kitchen, but it was a little early. I was really in the mood for pizza and a craft beer. 

Well lookee here. I remember hearing about Oggi's from long ago, when I first started digging into the craft beer scene. There's a location nearby, so let's go there for dinner. Ahhh... sports on the TV's, lively conversation, and a full food menu with handcrafted beers. Yaay. I had the flatbread pizza with a variety of meats on it. While Joe Benny (Baltimore) has nothing to worry about here, it still was a welcoming foodstuff. Went down really well with my Scottish Ale. Good dough and sauce (maybe more of the latter would have been nice) For some reason, Mrs. RJG had to have lettuce wraps (really?) and then later complained that it was too much of the same thing. Well - yea, that's how appetizers work. She had a big ol' tall glass of water too. Sigh. Keep in mind the wedding hadn't happened yet - so everything was around waistline size. Mrs. RJG is in tremendous shape, so it's all a bit silly, but that's not for me to discuss lol.

5/19/22 (new entry)

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...