Friday, May 13, 2022

Franklin Barbecue ~ Austin, Texas


Rude Dante was in Austin lately, bringing us back to our Texas roots!

---

900 E. 11th Austin, TX 78702

First, a disclaimer. Rude Dante don't know shit (ed: anything) about Texas BBQ. Or, more appropriately and accurately, Rude Dante knows exactly as much about Texas BBQ as he knows about Premier Cru Burgundy or First Growth Bordeaux. To wit, I've tried a couple and know what I like but claim no broad experience or palate to discern the finer nuance of French wine or Texas brisket. End disclaimer.

Upon finding myself in Austin with more time on my hands than usual, dining partner & I walked from our hotel at 11th & I35 to our first dining destination (see Cisco's entry).  En route, we passed what looked like a likely candidate for having a bit of local flavor, Franklin Barbecue, a block east of our hotel.  Upon doing a bit of research, I found that this is indeed one of THOSE places: two friends responded with 'Mecca' upon hearing of my destination, and the one-two other James Beard-award-winning chefs I know personally will likely be impressed when I share this one. 

Since I had a light day the next day, I wandered over a bit after the published 11 am opening time and found a line out the door, around the sidewalk at the corner, back to the parking lot behind the building, and the threat of going around the block (my position in line was later confirmed to be about 2-1/2 hours back). Lacking a better use of time and only having a couple work calls to attend, I said, "what the hell?" and opted to stay.

Folks in line were friendly - a larger group of guys here for a bachelor party (they later bailed when they realized the line would not accommodate their tee time), a business traveler who was working odd shifts and had attended Aaron Franklin's master class (and thereby made himself a valuable ally & information source in our quest for smoked meat). Another couple behind us from California decked out in Raiders-cum-biker attire - just checking out the scene. Shared a bucket of cervezas with the master class guy (to be honest, it was 2 buckets). And there are lawn chairs you can borrow while waiting in line. Truly not a bad use of my time - but NOT recommended for those on a schedule.

We were given regular updates whilst in line (read, 'managing expectations'), and by the time I finished my second conference call (with beers, gulp) we had reached the front door. Was pleasantly surprised to find there were still some options other than brisket. I asked for 1/2 lb brisket packed to take home with me, another half pound to eat, plus whatever was left of the pulled pork (was about 6 oz in my estimation). A couple of us got larger sides to share (slaw and potato salad), and we settled in to eat with our last couple beers.

The brisket was as good as any I have ever had (repeat disclaimer) - and was equally good a couple days later after flying home to Denver with my stash. The pulled pork, while quite good, was not a once-in-a-lifetime experience (or maybe just paled in the shadow of the brisket). Line-mate shared a bit of his other meat option (Jalapeno-cheddar sausage), and I liked that better than the pulled pork. Would have liked to have tried the ribs as well, but they were out (and really, it's all about the brisket).

Really glad that it worked out to try this place out. Whether or not it is worth the wait is another question - and really more about the marginal utility of your time. There is an option to order ahead, as well as out of town shipping, that I did not explore but may be worth looking into for those who are busier than I was at the time of my visit.

- Rude Dante review

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...