Friday, April 14, 2023

Zesty Thai ~ Colorado Springs, Colorado


Latest visit: Apr 2023

First visit: Nov 2021

So guess who's in town? Mr. Music! For breakfast we went to RJG's favorite Quijotes (already updated for the year). After a full day of crate digging at thrift shops and record stores here in town, it was time for dinner. The three of us (now with Mrs. RJG joining) always enjoy going out for Thai food together. Why not go to our latest favorite - Zesty Thai! Mrs. RJG had the red curry which she really enjoyed. I had the "Chef's Special" which you can read about below. Mr. Music started with a bowl of Tom Kha and chicken, and then proceeded to have the same dish as I. Oh, and Mr. Music and I also had the Thai Iced Coffee (mentioned below as well). All were a big hit! On this visit the heat level was below Thai Hot, so one minor gripe, but not a big deal. We had a chance to speak with the owner/chef and she explained that her cooking style is from the northeast of Thailand. And the way I order my dish is "truly Thai style". Reassuring that I was correct on that front - especially when I get quizzical looks at certain Thai restaurants (hello NaRai Thai). And she did confirm that they are looking to acquire an alcohol license as well, allowing us to enjoy a glass of white wine with our meal. Zesty Thai is for certain our favorite Thai restaurant in the Springs - beginning to separate from the pack. And it's right across the street from where we live!

---original 11/25/22 review

It was almost exactly a year ago when Mrs. RJG and I tried our local Thai restaurant. By local, I mean really local - essentially across the street. This had been both a Chinese and a Vietnamese restaurant prior, both that we enjoyed, and the latter was covered in the RJG. So why not try for one more Asian cuisine in this spot? In any case, we went for dinner, and I was very high on it and Mrs. RJG gave it a thumbs down. Why? I'm still not sure. One issue I had going in is they don't serve alcohol, and we covered that topic in depth on the NaRai Thai entry not that long ago. Since that time I've been pushing for a lunch date and that day finally happened. Mrs. RJG ordered the Roasted Thai Chili Sauce Stir Fry with chicken. It was the perfect lunch portion with perfectly cooked white rice and a delicious sauce. It was missing the cashews though, which was odd. I ordered the Basil Stir Fry, but I customized it my way - which is the Thai way. Off goes the green beans and mushrooms, substitute white meat chicken with minced ground chicken, add a fried egg, and make it Thai Hot. That graduated me to "Chef Special", which in layman's terms, means "$6 more". I don't care as long as you do it right. And - wow - did they ever! 100% authentic Thai style. It's been forever and a day since I ate every bite of my Thai meal, not leaving behind a bushel of onions or a whole bell pepper. And Thai hot was Thai hot. Which means super hot - but not insanely so. Or they hold back - wimpy style - in fear that you might return it. Nope - just exactly what the level calls for. Accompany all that with a tall glass of Thai Iced Coffee, and heaven awaits. Dessert in a glass, they actually give you enough to last the entire meal. Oh - and the girls that work here are very sweet. The lost art of friendly service returns.

And with that, Zesty Thai becomes the RJG's favorite Thai lunch spot to complement NaRai Thai as the dinner go-to option. And it's right across the street. Yay.

11/13/21; 11/25/22 (new entry); 4/14/23

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...