Friday, November 11, 2022

Port of Subs ~ regional chain : Gilbert, Arizona


Latest visit: Nov 2022 (Gilbert, AZ)

First visit: Jul 2011 (Carson City, NV)

Locations: According to their website, Port of Subs started simply as Sub Shop in Sparks, Nevada in 1972. They have approximately 135 locations in 8 western states. Colorado is not one of them.

The rest of the afternoon was all presentations followed by an early evening team meeting in Tempe. After that, many of us were looking to recharge and we went our separate ways to achieve that. I wasn't particularly hungry, and was very tired after a chaotic day. I decided to get something light, take it back to the hotel room, and enjoy a couple of beers while watching the election results. The perfect brainless activity so that I would be fresh in the morning! But what was going to be that light meal? Already did the hamburger thing as noted on the The Habit post. How about a sandwich? And up popped Port of Subs. Yes, of course, I remember them. Recall Rule #1 - it can't be a place I can visit at home in Colorado Springs (or even Denver really).

I had a note on my spreadsheet, and that same note entered my mind the minute I ordered: Jersey Mike's. It's the exact same modus operandi. Pull out the meats and cheeses, and make each slice just like your neighborhood delicatessen would do. Add in the toppings, wrap 'er on up, and out the door I go. Even though it was late, I was impressed by the counter person who was the consummate professional. He may have been the manager. No matter, I felt like my sandwich was being made with care. As for the verdict, Jersey Mike's wins on better bread and toppings. It's just a much sloppier sandwich than the decidedly drier Port of Subs, even though the ingredients are more or less the same. The Great Outdoors chain in DFW also gets the edge. All the same, I was more than happy with my sandwich, and if they were in Colorado Springs, I would go a few times a year. In this case they provided (ahem) a port in the storm.

7/13/11; 4/5/12; 11/8/22 (new entry)

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...