Monday, November 7, 2022

Tacos Tijuana ~ Gilbert, Arizona


Latest visit: Nov 2022 (Gilbert)

First visit: Mar 2019 (Mesa)

Other locations: As of this writing, Tacos Tijuana has 6 locations, all in the Phoenix area. Their website says "all over Arizona" so I'm guessing some closed during the pandemic.

After leaving Chicago, was back home for a couple of days, and left for Phoenix early Sunday. Wanted to get a full day in to look for records and try different places to eat and new beers to drink. Once again we're here for business, and this trip is related to the same pursuit we've been on when going to Denver and Chicago. As with those trips, I have limited freedom on where I would normally go to eat, though this group has proven to do a fine job of picking places. We'll see how they fare on this trip.

As you can see, I've been here before - during a quiet period for the RJG. The Mrs. and I were in this part of Phoenix for one of our official niece's weddings. This preceded other official niece's weddings in Scottsdale late last year and the grand extravaganza we covered in the San Diego area back in May. On this trip in 2019, Mrs. RJG and I decided to drive from Colorado Springs, and get in some quality time in New Mexico plus Prescott Valley. Since we had flexibility and arrived a day early, we decided to recon where the wedding was to be. Once we accomplished that, it was lunch time. Tacos Tijuana came up on the trusty Google app, and off we went. Both of us enjoyed our meal immensely and we'd hoped to return as soon as possible.

And that day has arrived - for me at least. I could have sworn the location we went to was in Gilbert. Once I was inside it was clear I was mistaken. And considering this location didn't open until after I was here solidified that fact. After some Google research, and looking at the interior, it was indeed the Mesa locale we had been too. The one in Gilbert is much larger - and comfortable - so already we're looking at positives. 


I came here for one reason - Vampiros tacos. It was not a style I was familiar with prior, but essentially it's a tostada without a bean spread, but cheese instead. The key here is the crispy tortilla - as otherwise it would be a sloppy mess. But not at Tacos Tijuana. Not only is it a sturdy and crispy fried corn tortilla, but it's also very flavorful on its own. As for toppings, I went with al pastor and carne asada. Both of them cooked to perfection. Not too many places get the right seasonings for al pastor, but Tacos Tijuana does it perfectly, and restores my faith in the dish. They come street taco style with onions and cilantro. Tacos Tijuana provide salsas in giant squirt bottles, that they keep refrigerated so it stays fresh. One is what they call mild, but I would say it's medium. It's a bit too watery for me to recommend though. The hot is perfect though (dark red bottle). It definitely packs some heat, and the texture is exactly what I want - thick and loaded with finely minced chiles. Look at the picture I took of my meal. I was tempted to get a third one, but had a full day ahead and didn't want to get slowed down.

I'll be back - hopefully my next trip to Phoenix - which could be soon. 

11/6/22 (new entry)

Mesa; Gilbert

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...