Friday, November 4, 2022

2Twenty2 Tavern ~ Chicago, Illinois


First visit: Oct 2022

Back in Chicago for the first time since 2012. For whatever reason I was lazy getting down my experience then, so those restaurants will have to await a revisit. But as it turns out one pub did get a revisit - more on that later.


One of my other favorite pursuits is staying at old hotels - especially those of former glorious grandeur. I also enjoy contemporary hotels - perhaps future relics right? On this visit I had a chance to stay at the Palmer House, one of Hilton's hotels since the mid 40s but a history that goes back to 1925 (in its current state). It was the first hotel in Chicago with elevators along with light bulbs and telephones in each guest room. Not even sure they still have the latter. Who would notice such things? But no one could miss the grand entrance with the incredible ceiling paintings. So many great details. Of course the pandemic closed the hotel for well over a year. Fortunately it is back - alive and well. Like the rest of us I suppose... Love the old black and white photos from their heyday in the 50s, 60s, and early 70s that which line the hallways of the hotel. What happened to those days anyway? I remember it briefly from when I was a little boy, but it was gone before I could appreciate it. And I just found out that the RJG's Official Mom was here in 1958! What? She didn't travel hardly at all without my Dad, but this was one trip her aunt took her on before she was married. An aunt I never knew unfortunately.

Take the Wabash exit out of the hotel ("street level"), hang a right and a short walk south takes you to this most wonderful tavern called 2Twenty2. They carded me at the front. Believe me - as I close in on 60 and look every bit of it - that is a most ridiculous practice. But I laugh anyway. Plopped myself at the bar and looked at a beer menu filled with breweries and beers I'd never seen. This is all covered in the Bier Reise (see pages above). But for the purposes of the RJG, it's dinner time, so what to eat? Oddly the establishment is only known as a "bar" in Google Maps, which is far from the reality. Even the tavern themselves call their food menu "bar bites" underselling how great their kitchen is. I settled on the "Light My Fire Burger" with Pepper Jack cheese, onions, and Sriracha Aioli, with regular fries. Excellent in every way, even Mrs. RJG would have approved of this fine burger. The darkened sports bar ambience with a specialized beer list, gives it more than a remembrance to Max's Taphouse. Not that many beers of course, but still a very welcoming place. In fact the next night I came back for a couple of more beers - while the World Series was playing. Good times.

11/4/22 (new entry)

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...