Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Champs Chicken ~ national chain : Garden City, Kansas


First visit: Oct 2023 (Garden City, KS)

Locations: Their website map is broken, but Google tells us they are pretty much everywhere including 3 near here in the Springs.

We're working our way back home, and the taco scene way out west in Kansas and in eastern Colorado isn't looking too good (for authentic tacos there are plenty of options - but you know what we mean). Mrs. RJG stated she wanted chicken. We were wrapping up in Garden City, so let's see what Google Maps pulls up. Champs. Never heard of them. Let's try it.

Pulling up - yes, OK I see now - gas station chicken. Like with Perkins, I never had much desire to try these places. Just seems like a fast track to the ER. We had them everywhere in NE Tarrant. Chesters, Golden Chick, etc... Ah what the heck, let's try it anyway.

Well doggone it, if this isn't damned good chicken! My voice text notes stated: Tenders were moist, light flakey crust (not heavy at all, which is what I was fearing), excellent flavor.


We did have one problem here and I was a bit furious. They have a deal for 5 tenders, but Mrs. RJG asked for a sixth. That was a big mistake. When we got the bill, I complained that it wasn't fair and we should get a break. The manager suddenly "didn't understand English". He certainly had no problem before. Now that's the worst thing you can do with me. He walked away shrugging his shoulders. Grrr. Look at the receipt and you tell me what you see? Essentially we were penalized for buying a sixth piece. 

You know, businesses work very hard to bring you in for that first visit. They beg you basically. They pay marketers large sums of money, so that someone like me might try it once - and actually like it! And then they proceed to treat the customer poorly after that - nickeling and diming for no reason. Anyone with common sense could have easily fixed this issue. There are many ways this could have been resolved - maybe throw in one more piece of chicken? I am planning on sending this entry to Champs headquarters. At the end of the day, I'm out $3 plus additional tax. So yea, not worth getting the blood pressure up for, but it's so aggravating. This is a situation where the manager needs to be reprimanded and reviewed carefully. He's not only hurting his small location, but he's damaging the brand. And that's why HQ would be interested in this message. If they're acting in this way with us, they're doing the same thing to other customers as well. Remember I'm a former corporate executive myself, so I know how they think. I'm not looking for retribution, I can afford it lol.

All this to say, I now have a new outlook on gas station chicken. I'll keep an open mind. And yes, I'll for certain consider Champs again. Especially if they reply to my email :-)

10/5/23 (new entry)

Garden City, Kansas

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...