Friday, September 13, 2024

Basil & Barley ~ Colorado Springs, Colorado


Latest visit: Sep 2024

First visit: Nov 2018

This is only my second visit to Basil & Barley, and as you can see, it was nearly six years ago, not long after they opened in fact. Not impressed on that initial try? Not at all - I enjoyed it quite a bit. But circumstances make Basil & Barley a difficult place to visit. If I go on my own for lunch then I will feel compelled to get a beer (it's not a need but a desire). Years ago, one or even two beers in the afternoon did not impact my energy level. Now I get a bit sleepy and I don't want to lose the momentum of the day. So what about dinner with Mrs. RJG? Welll... Mrs. RJG is very picky about pizza, and she doesn't often like that for dinner in any case. I was reticent to take her here because Italian styled Napoletana pizzas were a real mixed bag back in DFW. They started with a bang but it seemed each restaurant lost their luster as time went on. If you have the will and time to research, this blog is filled with places like that: INZO, Cane Rosso, Spin!, Cavalli, Pazzo!, Campania, Apeizza e Vino. The latter three spectacularly crashed and burned, especially Campania (literally). INZO was the only place we continued to visit but we had pivoted away from pizza towards Italian food. So with that backdrop, I knew Basil & Barley would be a tough sell for my better half.

Speaking of sleepy in the afternoon, it was time to celebrate Mr. RJG's 60th birthday! Weeee. I had toyed with the idea of going down to Santa Fe where we had each celebrated our respective 50th birthdays at La Choza. But the timing was all wrong - it's a Wednesday and there was too much going on at work. Plus we just got back from a week long vacation. I wanted to go somewhere that I enjoy, but hadn't been in a long time. I have no desire to spend $200 at a fancy steakhouse, when I can cook a better one at home. The answer? The title of this post. Mrs. RJG agreed and off we went.

Basil & Barley is not too far from our house, a few blocks east from The Promenade shopping area. The restaurant is in a nice setting in a modern strip center. Perhaps too much natural light but one doesn't have to squint while eating here either. On my first visit they served local Deuces Wild beer exclusively. But now they have more variety. Not quite as well researched as Walter's303, but better than most of these kind of places. We each ordered a beer on the lager side, and they weren't cold enough, which is inexcusable really. That didn't get us off to the best start. But we persevered and each ordered pizza. They are just a little bigger than a "individual" pizza, but not large enough for two. We can take home the leftovers (which is exactly what we did). Mrs. RJG asked for the basic margherita and I ordered their spicy offering The Diavola. A few minutes later out came our very-hot-to-the-touch pizzas. I patiently awaited Mrs. RJG's feedback. It was a huge hit! She loved it. Perfect dough, slightly chewy and crispy, not mushy. Great sauce and first class ingredients. Best pizza she's had in town and she wants to go back soon! So you never know... I enjoyed mine as well, exactly for the same reasons.

Into the RJG rotation Basil & Barley goes, delayed by six years perhaps.

11/16/18; 9/11/24 (new entry)

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...