Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Texas Land & Cattle ~ Austin, Texas


Latest visit: May 2023

First visit: Nov 2001 (Dallas)

We survived our drive into Austin the night before, but we had some torrential downpours and it got a little hairy in places. But we made it. Grabbed our separate rooms and I died in the bed.

Friday was our big selling day, with guys flying in all over the world buying records like the ones we brought (some well over $1,000 each). So there was no time to leave the convention hall for lunch. We had a light breakfast at the hotel and some snacks to hold us through the day. Finally it was time for dinner and JL says "I wanna a big 'ol steak". That sounds damn good! Should be an easy ask here in big 'ol Austin. 

Not really. North of the river is downtown and they have all the expense account steakhouses. Not worth the money if I'm paying for it, but always happy for my company to pick up my tab. :-) Problem #2 is that Austin's famous 6th Street is not for us. List the issues: 1) We have a large immobile van; 2) It's Friday night; 3) JL can't walk too far (hence I'm assisting him). On top of that, South Austin (where we were), is more of a hipster area than one that caters to road travelers. So JL suggested Texas Land & Cattle. I wasn't initially enthused about the idea because it's a chain I used to go to in DFW, and I can go to other locations easily I thought. But it was getting late and we were really starving so I didn't argue the point. I always did like it! So let's go there and I'm thinking JL will love it.

It wasn't until just now - while I'm typing and researching this entry - that I realized the chain Texas Land & Cattle are no more. It's only this sole location that survived. Well... cool! Now I'm glad we did go. It's been 16+ years since I last stepped foot into a Texas Land and Cattle, and sure enough it was for a company dinner. The menu was familiar and I ordered the smoked sirloin. Always loved the sliced peppercorn crusted steak, cooked medium. It was as great as I remembered it. They gave me a "field of mashed potatoes" as well as a salad, all of which were delicious. The beer selection once again disappointed, with only one craft beer on tap. Really guys? In 2023? Ah whatever, I had two of them. JL had the big ol' ribeye. I tasted it - wow was it good! He had 3 sides, and chowed it all down. We really could not have chosen a better place to go. Service struggled but was very kind anyway. JL tipped extra because he's a generous big fella. 

Afterwards I asked him to stop off at a liquor store so I can at least grab a couple of local craft beers, which I did. I didn't want to waste the trip as the restaurants clearly weren't going to come through on that front.

I was trying to remember the first time I went to TxLC. It was with my parents in 2001! Mrs. RJG and I were visiting them for Thanksgiving. We were living in Parker, Colorado at that time. My Dad really liked Texas Land & Cattle. I think he was allowed to smoke too...

11/18/01; 12/16/06; 5/10/23 (new entry)

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...