Sunday, May 21, 2023

SubCulture ~ Denver, Colorado


First visit: May 2023

I was digging for records in the Capitol Hill area of Denver when lunchtime arrived. Where to go? I didn't want anything too heavy, just a sandwich would be wonderful. And up popped SubCulture (great name!) which was all of 2 blocks away. A quick walk over and we're in your classic inner city hip sandwich shop. To be expected, plenty of cultural references are splashed everywhere and the drink machine is loaded with stickers.

They have a large menu that I took time to peruse outside before venturing in. Order at the counter, and you choose a playing card for your table number. The gimmick here is if you choose the joker your meal is free! I never win these things and picked the 7 of clubs. I think I would have paid anyway, since I'm not a regular customer, and these places can use the revenue I'm sure. 

Any sandwich shop that has a Cuban on the menu is A-OK with me, and that's what I went with. Denver is the king of toasted subs (Quizno's and Snarf's come to mind) and that's what SubCulture offers as well (in addition to cold sandwiches). I sat down at the metal bar (though it doesn't appear the bar is currently active) and they brought the wrapped sandwich to me. Though they get a lot of to-go orders, there's plenty of space to sit and eat. 

Ah - this is a very good sandwich! Toasted perfectly (Mrs. RJG would approve) and piled high with ham. It also has turkey, pickles, mustard, and garlic mojo. The latter is a traditional Cuban sauce. I only had the 6 inch, and I found myself wanting more - but certainly not a footlonger. They should offer a 9 inch lol. Yea, I'm sure that's not economically feasible when considering the bread.

When I'm back in the area crate digging, SubCulture is a great option for lunch. They have many other items on the menu I'd like to try.

5/21/23 (new entry)

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...