Thursday, June 22, 2023

K-Bob's Steakhouse ~ regional chain : Raton, New Mexico


Last visit: Jun 2023 (Raton, New Mexico)

First visit: Jul 1983 (Abilene, Texas)

I hadn't quite finished writing about our last trip to Santa Fe. Now it's the final day and we're on our way home. The plan all along was to enjoy a lunch in Raton. We had great success with the Ranch House in Santa Fe, so let's try our luck at another steakhouse. This is only my second time to K-Bob's, the last almost exactly 40 years ago! Which is probably a record for the RJG in between visits. I was with my parents and we were heading to Lubbock for summer orientation for my freshman year at Texas Tech. Dad had some business in Abilene so we went that route instead of the usual TX-114. Wow - so long ago.

There was a time when K-Bob's had ~100 locations throughout the south, and their heyday was in the 1980s. This K-Bob's looks all the world like an early 80s steakhouse. Wood paneling, and a "salad wagon". In the old days the salad bar would come with your meal, but no more. I ordered a steak, and it was priced fairly. But sad to say in this case it was a cheap cut of meat. They undercooked it, and I had to send it back. I had a side of rice which was quite bland. Mrs. RJG's experience was the opposite. She had the Chicken Fried Chicken and loved it. And a baked potato that she also enjoyed. She wants to go back. OK, I'm game. I'll get something else next time. Maybe Chicken Fried Chicken? Hmmm....

Today, K-Bob's is down to only 7 locations. They have 4 in New Mexico, including the original in Clovis along with 3 others in Texas. Abilene's locale is long gone. Even popular locations - at least they seemed popular - like the one in Childress, Texas, are now closed. Their website indicates strong ownership and growth. The data doesn't support that though.

7//83; 6/22/23 (new entry)

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...