Friday, October 21, 2022

Tanias 33 ~ Tucson, Arizona


I (the RJG) haven't been to Tucson since 1994. Really need to get back there...

---

Mr. Music is flying solo today! After a short visit with my brother, sister-in-law and nephew in Chandler, I stopped in Tucson for a little lunch. There are quite a few places in Tucson that I wanna try, but this place was close to the freeway and caught my eye. I drove into the parking lot which was in an area that was pretty run down but lined with plenty of Mexican food options. I pulled up into the parking lot only only to see a large non descript building with a giant menu on the front wall! The menu is huge and they have plenty of amazing looking options.. Lots of breakfast options, sopas (soups) like menudo, pazole, and albondigas, several meats for burritos, quesadillas, and meat plates like birria, barbacoa, carne verde and roja and more! Tania's has the biggest vegan menu I've ever seen. I'm not vegan, but some of these dishes look so delicious I would try them. Mushroom Pibil for one! I decided to get a burrito and the Colorado Red Chicken caught my eye! It's shredded chicken soaked in Colorado style red chile. The burrito also had rice and beans and pico de gallo and lettuce which I opted to leave off. They offer a myriad of extras; In fact they have a build your own burrito where you pick the meat and all the toppings.

They offer 3 sizes! Regular, large, and extra large! The guy told me that a large is about the size of a burrito from Chipotle, so I decided to go with that. It was at least that big and it was absolutely delicious! The sauce was tasty and reminded me of Hatch red chili. The chicken, rice and beans were great and I loved the tortilla it was wrapped in! When I went inside the place to pick up my order, I saw that the dining room was very small. Just a handful of tables. I guess they have a giant kitchen to make all those delicious dishes. Inside it looked like they had commandeered an old bar. It was cute and nicely done. There was a very long counter, that I'm pretty sure used to be a bar. It had some fresh made odds and ends that you could buy to go. I saw a stack of packs of gigantic fresh made flour tortillas! I am sure they are 18" across and I had to buy them! They are very thin so they don't really use too much dough. I have been making breakfast burritos with them every day and these tortillas are light and scrumptious! I plan to go back there as much as I can. I get to Tucson on occasion when I drive out to see my brother or or on my way to and from California. This is my 2nd excellent food experience in Tucson. I wish I could just spend a month there and eat there every day and try a bunch of the other great looking restaurants in Tucson as well.

- Mr. Music review

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...