Saturday, October 8, 2022

Molly Malone's ~ Covington, Kentucky


112 E 4th St.

A limited-locations Irish-owned Irish pub (one in Covington, KY, the other downriver in Louisville, KY). In general, I hate joints that pretend to be 'authentic, Irish pub' - and it was with some hesitation that I walked into Molly Malone's as the only open dining option on a Tuesday evening. As I chatted with bartenders - mainly Tracy, who happens to share a birthday with my younger daughter - I realized this was a bit of the real deal. A wide range of taps, and a nice selection of single-malt Irish as well as Scotch whisky - plus really good food and a barkeep who was willing to steer me to the right menu items. I drank a Narragansett because, frankly, I have never seen this beer on tap before (ED: Had one myself in a Providence bar back in 2011). Followed with a couple Guinness stouts because... why not? Tracy told me they roast their own corned beef and recommended a couple other options (fish & chips, prime rib sandwich). I opted for the prime rib and it was quite good. Service definitely caters to locals / regulars, but I felt completely welcome as a wayward stranger. Worth going back - and may skip more likely joints in my travels to the area.

- Rude Dante review

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...