Saturday, October 8, 2022

Dee Felice ~ Covington, Kentucky ***CLOSED***


Closed August 2023

---

OK - Rude Dante has some more updates from the Cincinnati area to share with us.

---

529 Main St.

Historically one of my favorite Cajun joints anywhere - within or outside of NoLa - I revisited this place in Sept 2022 after at least 15-20 years had passed since my last visit. Having first tried Dee in the late 80s, two landmark changes have occurred since my first visit. First, owner and house band drummer for which the joint was named passed away sometime in the 90s. Pretty sure his kids owned and / or ran it from Dee's passing until early 2021. In Jan 2021 the family sold to another local entrepreneur, and either since that sale or possibly through prior chef changes, the menu - while featuring some of the same dishes - is not quite the same. For this latest visit, I went with my stand-by favorite dish from earlier days, crawfish etouffee. The dish I was served did not resemble the 'dirty rice' kind of cumin-laden concoction I had previously encountered: it was fresh tasting, but light on spice and more tomato flavored than I expected. Good - but not the same. The upside: it was still a good meal, service was excellent and the music was outstanding - simple jazz piano that started with one of my all-time fave tunes (Billy Strayhorn's Lush Life). So while it is not the same...it's still worth going.

- Rude Dante review

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...