Friday, June 14, 2024

The Public House ~ Colorado Springs, Colorado


Latest visit: Jun 2024

First visit: Apr 2018

Founded: 2013

Like with yesterday, I wrapped up an estate sale and it was time for lunch. On this day, however, I was in the Broadmoor area down south. Same thing - I want a hamburger. And look what popped up? Yaay, I haven't been here since the visit below. This would prove to be my first solo venture here. I sat down at the bar, and was perusing the menu for which burger to get, when I noticed they had a Nashville Hot chicken sandwich. Never mind then, that's what I want! Oh but there's a problem. They're out of the seasoning. Well that's a bummer. OK, back to Plan A. I went for the reliable Pub Burger. Ordered it medium well. The gentleman next to me ordered his medium rare a few minutes later than me - and his came first! Wow. Mine ended up being well done, and Mrs. RJG would have loved it. They were served with the excellent garlic fries (pub fries I believe they call them). Grabbed a Mexican lager (I was very thirsty) from Tivoli in Denver and that was my lunch. Another excellent meal at The Public House. Probably see you next year...

---4/29/23 update

It's been a full year since the Tampa Pound and I were last here. Now it's time for Mrs. RJG to join me, and it's been a few years since she last stepped foot in the The Public House (see below). Ya know how picky Mrs. RJG is about her burgers. Finally after many failed visits, Mrs. RJG found a burger she really liked! She ordered the Fire Burger which comes with spicy condiments and jalapenos. The most important thing is they cooked it to order - well done. And the bread wasn't a pile of mush. Hooray! She even had a beer with me - imagine that? I went with the Dill Chicken sandwich instead of the Cuban. A gigantic fried chicken breast loaded with a creamy dill sauce, dill pickles, and dill Havarti cheese. Yep - I was in a real pickle I tell ya. Sha-boom, I'm here all week. I also enjoyed a beer, one so obscure it's not even in untapp'd (see Bier Reise site for more). Also to note - my sandwich was a whopping one dollar more than Snarf's. What would you rather pay for - a professional chef/cook - or a teenager whipping up your fast food? Yea exactly. The Public House continues to be an RJG favorite.

---original 4/30/22 review

Interesting that Rude Dante just had a Public House event in North Carolina, and here we are with our own! The Public House was one of the first places we visited on our return back to living in Colorado Springs. But why so far south then? We were in town for our new home inspection, and all the hotels up north were booked. So we stayed closer to the airport. On a Google search, The Public House popped up, and seemed perfect for what we wanted. And it was! We went back one other time, after we obtained our new Colorado driver's licenses. That was it though for The Public House and the RJG. The pandemic put a hold on any return visit, and since it's in the opposite part of town, we had no reason to come back anytime soon.

Enter the Tampa Pound, who now lives in this part of The Springs. We needed to get together and he asked that I suggest a place. Ah, I remember a great restaurant down there... One reason the RJG likes The Public House is they have a unique selection of craft beers, not just the same old ones everyone else has. As for entrees, we both went for... stop me if this doesn't sound familiar... Cuban's! So my 5th Cuban in two weeks. Theirs is a very good interpretation with pulled pork, ham, and pickled carrots. Now the latter may sound kind of yucky, but the key word is "pickled". Adds the perfect tangy balance. Great bread as well.  Comes with fries (or salad if you choose). Why be healthy? Their fries are thick cut and golden brown. And delicious. Goes very well with those yummy beers, of which we each had two. Service was attentive and fun on this visit. I have a note from the earlier visits that I enjoyed the green chile mac n' cheese. So file that away too.

The Public House anchors a strip mall, just off of 115. It's a welcoming space with plenty of seating (inside and out) and a full bar.

4/20/18; 9/19/18; 4/30/22 (new entry); 4/29/23; 6/14/24

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...