Saturday, March 18, 2023

CAMP Modern American Eatery ~ Greenville, South Carolina


First visit: Mar 2023

The first day of our work trip was sequestered in the hotel conference rooms. While the work was productive, the food and drink were a total nightmare. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner were all 100% buffet Marriott food. And water to drink (or similar). Zero alcohol and 3 meals of Marriott food is my idea of what hell must be like (especially if hell had Bruce Springsteen playing in the background the whole time). I think I would have let us out for dinner, but I wasn't in charge. Went to bed at 7:30 and slept till 6 the next day. All work and no play makes the RJG a dull boy. But at least I slept great!

The next day was the main event in another adjoining city. Lunch was catered by Jimmy John's which is one of the few mega-chains I can tolerate. Much better than Marriott food! Upon return, we broke into groups for dinner. I pretty much knew that the RJG's style of dining wasn't going to be top of mind, so I had mentally prepared for the modern and the hip. And I got...

...the modern and the hip. You probably already figured that out by the name of the restaurant. CAMP. Yea. You may recall my friend The Sword from my days working in Baltimore (interesting enough we're at the same company again). His favorite type of restaurants were Tapas places. His argument? You don't have to commit! Try many different plates and move on. It's a sound argument and I certainly understood his point. Trouble is... not all plates are created equal, so it seems you're always going to get about 40 to 60% of what you like with any group of people, in this case there were 6 of us. And I always have this nagging sound in my ears about places like this. Remember our visit to Sevilla in San Diego last year. I stated "Tapas. It's a Spanish word meaning "to fleece"". Well... it is! Not to complain, I didn't pay for it at least. None of us do ultimately, it's expensed. So what did I really like here? I thought the crispy flounder was pretty good. The charcuterie tray was excellent, especially the cheese. The veal chops were a bit fatty. Some other stuff I let pass by. I'm sure I had more than that, but nothing resonated really. I would never go here on my own, but these places are fun to go with a large group. And they had a few local craft beers on tap to keep me happy on that front. Good on the whole, but not for me ultimately (nor Mrs. RJG). For those where the word "trending" really matters.

3/18/23 (new entry)

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...