Saturday, May 29, 2021

Doug's Breakfast Lunch ~ Colorado Springs, Colorado


First visit: May 2021

Right before the pandemic hit, I got word that Doug's serves up a mean New Mexican breakfast. Well then, turn on the light for this moth won't you? Then things shut down, and we put the RJG on hold for a few months. Then one fine Monday morning a few months ago we went over, and they were closed without notice. Some family emergency. No problem. The next two times we wanted to go, we looked online and they were closed - and closed again. They seem to close on random days. Jeez. Well finally I timed a visit correctly. Walk in, waitress sits you down, order some coffee with vanilla creamer and we're ready to rumble.

No question what I'm getting - three egg burrito, stuffed with carne adovada. Smothered Christmas. I mean seriously, as if I was going to order something else. While waiting for the food, I observed the location. It's broken into 3 vertical sections with tables and booths in each. No counter seating which I like for breakfast, but that's OK.

To point out - the burrito is $11. So either it's grossly overpriced or it's giant. And the good news is...


Yea, look at that bad boy. I like to eat an early breakfast so I enjoy my dinner around 6. Here you can eat an early breakfast - and wait until tomorrow to eat again. So I did my ritual - flipped the dish perpendicular (as you see it) and started on the green. It's good - I would prefer more spice, but yes, it's good. As is usually the case, I wish they would smother it more. It gets dry by the end of the half portion. Also, it wasn't quite hot enough. It really needs to be blazing so it lasts the entire meal. So that by the time I got to the red, it was cool. If Mrs. RJG was with me, she would have been upset. I'm more tolerant of such things. The red was delicious all the same. Again, a bit more spice (and sauce) would have helped, but the flavor was there. Best New Mexico red chile I've had in Colorado. Which is not the same thing as saying the best New Mexico red chile. 'fraid to say, you still gotta haul yourself south a few hours for that.

Service was exceptional - it's a family affair so everyone plays their part to perfection. I'll be back for certain, want to try some other menu options.

5/29/21 (new entry)

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...