Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Thai Cafe ~ Prescott Valley, Arizona


First visit: Feb 2021

Those who know the RJG, will know that Mrs. RJG isn't going to travel very long without a visit to a Thai restaurant. I'm more than a willing participant, but honestly, Colorado Springs hasn't really come through for the cuisine. So I've sort of lost interest in recent times. While I was at Jamie's Waffles for breakfast, I noticed Thai Cafe right next door. OK, that's dinner! And sure enough, it came to pass.

If you're like me, I'd prefer to have white wine (or any alcoholic beverage) with my Thai food. A quick menu check looked like I was out of luck. Fine, I'm getting used to water more and more with my dinners. Or maybe even a Thai Iced Coffee which I do enjoy. Ah-ha! Look at that, they do have wine and beer. They just don't mention it on their website. Alrighty then... a large pour ("sloppy pour" our friend Joe Benny in Baltimore would call it) hit the spot and set the mood correctly. Oh look, we're in a Thai Restaurant (weee). That's more like it. First of all, this is a nice place. A large 2 room restaurant - so plenty of room to sit even during a pandemic. And perfectly lit to set the tone of a classy restaurant, not some convenience store outlet like so many Asian restaurants can be like.


We started with one of our staple appetizers - fried shrimp. Well look at this - 5 very large breaded fried shrimp. This is even more Southern cooking than usual. Any chef in Mississippi would be proud to serve this at his restaurant. Super hot - and delicious. But the main course was still yet to be delivered. How many times did the Mrs. and I enjoy everything until the dinners were served?

We each ordered Thai Basil with chicken. But it might as well be two entirely different dishes the way we get them. Mrs. RJG orders it straight from the menu - and with that comes large pieces of white meat chicken, extra vegetables, and she usually sticks to medium heat. First question I usually ask - especially if I see they have Larb Salad - can I have it with ground chicken? He said yes, and then I proceeded to remove the green beans and ask for a fried egg on top. Excitedly he says "you want it Thai style then?" Amen brother. Goes without saying - Thai Hot too.

I'm already thrilled, knowing that the server is experienced with real Thai food. Now comes the moment - is it the real deal? YES YES YES! I haven't had great Thai food like this since we left DFW in early 2018. Three full years of mediocre Thai (though the place we tried in Laramie was nice). You never know where you might find great food. One doesn't think of Prescott Valley as a place you might get great Thai food, but here we are. Everything was perfect, from the rice, to the fried egg, to the ground chicken, to the healthy portion of basil mixed in. Also plenty of onions and bell peppers to add that special flavor. But best of all was the sauce. I've only had it this way in one other place that I can recall - it was Sukhothai in Arlington, Texas - which was our favorite Thai restaurant before the advent of the RJG and the subsequent move of Sea Siam from So Cal to Northeast Tarrant in 2007. Thai Cafe calls it a black bean sauce. Huh. Don't think I've ever seen that before, but this is it. Super dark, flavorful - and combined with the Thai Hot heat level - this sent my taste buds into a swoon.

Great Thai food - oh how I've missed you. If you're in Prescott Valley, and you like Thai food, this is a must stop.

2/15/21 (new entry)

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...