Monday, October 14, 2024

The Bagel Deli ~ Denver, Colorado


Latest visit: Oct 2024

First visit: Sep 1994

Founded: 1967

It's Sunday and I'm on my way to the main record show in Denver. It's a two day show, but I go on Sunday when it's free just to scrounge around for deals. That event is an energy burner, so I need protein before venturing in. What could be better than a big ol' honkin' meat sandwich from an old fashioned Jewish Deli? Not much. 

This is only my second visit here, and if you carefully look at the top, you'll note it's been a full 30 years since. I also lived in Colorado Springs back then (a few years before Mrs. RJG), and dined here because there used to be a record store on the other side of this strip mall. Why I never came back again is one of the great RJG mysteries. Only a few months later I became a full-time resident of Denver. And many years after that we either lived there or had a summer place. And even six years after moving back to Colorado and visiting Denver a few times a year, I still left The Bagel Deli neglected. Even crazier is it's right off of I-25 (Hampden exit) on my way into the city. Consider that oversight now rectified.

My memory has it that The Bagel Deli used to only be the small grocery store with counter service on the left side of the strip center. But I could be mistaken. In any case they have a large restaurant next door, and even though it was very busy when I arrived, there were plenty of tables for the hostess to sit me down at.

I ordered what I came for - the "number 2", a combo of pastrami, corned beef, and Swiss cheese on marbled rye. Out came this mountain of a sandwich (much larger than Rosenberg's for example). With the side of kosher pickle and chips. Oh yea, this is my kind of sandwich! I had so much protein I felt drunk afterward. But it not only gave me the nutrients I needed for a day of crate digging, but it also was delicious. No need to ask for brown mustard when bottles of Gulden's are on the table. Perhaps the rye bread is a little too small for this kind of sandwich, so next time I'm getting it with a bagel. I hesitate to put any Denver restaurant on the RJG Rotation list, since there are so many new places I want to try, but I may make an exception here. But there's one more Jewish Deli in the area I also haven't been to in 30 years (locals will know which one), so that will be my next stop - probably early next year. More to come on that.

The Bagel Deli goes considerably out of their way to mention that they were featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. I like that show, but not sure I would exploit it that much. But whatever, the restaurant was crowded, so maybe that has something to do with it. I doubt it though, the food is what delivers the goods!

9/5/94; 10/13/24 (new entry)

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...