Thursday, October 17, 2024

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California


Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice of the birthday girl. I enjoy this type of restaurant (that seems to be popping up more and more) which specializes in handmade dumplings, noodle dishes, and more. 

What makes Northern Cafe different is that they also have an array of wontons as well. Here, wontons are a filling loosely wrapped in a wide noodle and served in a dish of sweet and spicy sauce. Whereas dumplings are either a steamed or fried noodle wrapping tightly encasing the filling (pork, chicken, shrimp with or without cabbage or scallions). They are served without special sauce and may be enhanced by using the soy sauce, black vinegar and/or hot chili oil that adorns each table as ubiquitously as the salt and pepper shaker at the local diner. 

We ate family style, and being guests, Lady Music and I pretty much let the BFF family choose the dishes. We got pork wontons and shrimp wontons, but no dumplings as BFF explained, they found dumplings too plain and liked the sauce that came with wontons. We did however get an order of chicken pot stickers at the request of BFF's daughter. Yes, a 3rd style of noodle stuffed with filling! To me, very similar to a pan fried dumpling, but a different shape. These were like sausage links of dense, seasoned ground chicken with a wonton skin tightly wrapped around them. Larger, and more stuffed than pot stickers I've had other places. They were yummy. We also got a few other dishes that I'll summarize: Cold Cucumber & Garlic salad which were crunchy Persian cakes cut up in cubes and had garlic and sliced green onion in a vinegar based dressing with a little diced chili. It was cold, fresh and yummy. Dry Fried String Beans are seared/blanched with sesame oil in a wok with garlicky seasoning. They were good as well, although I've had them at other places with small black beans and/or more intense seasoning, which I prefer. Steamed BBQ pork bun aka cha-shu bao. Not only are these a favorite of mine, but I also have a sentimental attachment to them as they conjure fond memories of Pop Music (aka Mr. Music's dad :-) ) taking his family to an international dining experience and proudly introducing us to the exotic delicacies he discovered. This was in the 1960s! Theirs were plump and tasty. Beef Roll is a healthy portion of thinly sliced beef, cucumber, cilantro, and dark leafy greens with some hoisin sauce rolled up in a Chinese pancake and sliced into sections sorta like a thick sushi roll. The pancake was light and flakey, but held the ingredients nicely. The lean beef and hoisin combination has a nice flavor and the veggies made it better. These are thicker than other beef rolls I've had. 

Shrimp fried rice was pretty basic, but delish with beautiful, plump, shelled shrimp, egg, veggies, and just the right amount of butter. Dan-Dan Noodle was the only noodle dish we had. I guess I'm not a huge fan of this dish in general, but I will eat some when ordered while doing family style sharing. The noodles were nice and it had plenty of crunchy peanut pieces sprinkled over the very peanut buttery sauced noodles. Sauteed Diced Chicken With Chili Flakes are small nuggets of battered chicken peppered with bits of dried red chilies. They had a kick, which we liked! I've had this dish in other places and for me, is beautiful with a very light coating of batter, which minimizes the greasiness; and unless the batter itself is seasoned, will have a negative impact on the overall flavor and bite. The dish here was good (fresh, hot, and crispy), but could have been really yummy with a lighter coating of seasoned batter. Vegetarian MapoTofu. This is a dish I love and order it almost anyplace that serves it. It's cubed, soft tofu sauteed in a thick brown sauce starring Sichuan peppers (tongue numbing) and dried Thai chilies (the more chilis, the more I like it!). Traditionally, the gravy has ground pork, which I love too, but the vegetarian version is pretty much as good and a noticeably lighter option. It is served with steamed white jasmine rice. I'm a fan of brown, nutty, whole grain rice, but this is an instance where for me, the white jasmine rice makes the dish. I like the tofu, but my main interest is a big ladle of Sichuan pepper packed gravy covering a perfectly steamed bowl of fragrant, jasmine rice. Their dish has a great flavor, but I prefer more gravy which I'm sure I could get if I ask. 

I do want to call attention to the steamed jasmine rice here. It was the one real stand out to me. Cooked to a slightly, al dente perfection made special by the roasted black sesame seeds that speckled the fragrant rice. A simple addition that had a great impact!

I personally enjoy the festive atmosphere of a bustling dining room as long as its not too chaotic. It was definitely bustling, but it didn’t feel packed or amid chaos as the room was large and spacious, but it seemed a bit loud and echoey and we all seemed to find it a little difficult to talk to each other at our table for 6. Not a showstopper for me though. All in all, the food was really good, healthy portions, and reasonably priced. I'm looking forward to another visit.

- Mr. Music review

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...