Saturday, December 9, 2023

Maggiano's Little Italy ~ national chain : Tysons, Virginia


Latest visit: Dec 2023 (Tysons Galleria Mall)

First visit: Aug 2000 (Denver, CO)

HQ: Dallas, TX

Locations: Yet another dumb website that does not allow you to research the chain. You can only know about your location. Makes you wonder what they're thinking. According to Wikipedia, as of March 2021, there are 54 locations in 23 states including DC. They still have two locations in Denver it appears.

I don't think I've ever written about Maggiano's but have been plenty of times. Their day in the sun has passed, but they're still a good viable option for a nice Italian meal. Especially for groups like this. They were all the rage in the late 90s, and that's when I first tried them in Denver. Mrs. RJG always enjoyed it as well. They're part of the Brinker chain (acquired from Lettuce Entertain You in Chicago), and this is the next level up from Romano's Macaroni Grill. Yet another vendor hosted this dinner (yep - our group is influential for vendors). It's also walking distance, inside of a mall. Wow - malls still have significance? Who knew? This was not an event where we could order individually, but rather plates of food were delivered to our two large tables. Mrs. RJG would have hated every minute of this and probably would not have eaten at all. By the time you get the food, it's not super hot, and "everyone has spit on it" she would comment. I accept these norms. Besides I don't want to starve... I have to say, whoever ordered our meals, did a great job of gauging the audience. I certainly ate wonderfully: Meatballs, ziti and Italian sausage, chicken picatta, salads, fried mozzarella, even tiramisu, cheesecake, and assorted desserts. Other than eating one huge meatball I was careful not to eat too much. A little of this and a little of that. I really do enjoy Maggiano's red sauce as well. Their beer selection wasn't great, but they had Devil's Backbone which is a macro craft (InBev) that I used to enjoy in Baltimore. I don't expect craft beers at Italian restaurants. I would have normally gone for wine, but needed to have a low alcohol night. 

Maggiano's was my go to layover restaurant at DFW airport coming back home from Baltimore to Colorado Springs. But that has stopped as well. I probably wouldn't go these days anyway, but I have fond memories of this restaurant. Actually got to bed at a sensible hour and slept close to 10 hours. I was wiped.

8//00; 6//09; 4/12/19; 12/5/23 (new entry)

Denver; DFW airport; Tysons, Virginia

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...