Saturday, September 2, 2023

Wooglin's Deli & Cafe ~ Colorado Springs, Colorado


First visit: Sep 2023

Wooglin's has been in the Springs since 1989, and has consistently been ranked among the top delis in town. I missed it in my first tour of duty here, and honestly had never heard of the restaurant until driving by not so long ago. I was reminded of Wooglin's again when they appeared in a Top 10 deli list for Colorado Springs. They're a little off the beaten path, residing on Barnes just east of Austin Bluffs. Not too far from Trivelli's and the Arc Thrift store.

They reside in a fairly large space with plenty of tables. You order up at the counter. They offer a full range of coffee drinks, breakfast, and sandwiches, and they close at 3. I was there for lunch and have been craving a high quality Italian hoagie, so let's see what Wooglin's can do. They had a pretty good crowd this Friday before a holiday weekend. Which meant I had to wait a bit for my sandwich, which is fine. Eventually it came out and it looked delicious. They make their own bread, so that definitely separates them from the competition. But beyond that, I have to say the sandwich was a bit boring. The key to a good hoagie is to make it a sloppy mess. Lots of dressing, lettuce, spices, and of course Italian meats piled high. It was none of that. Jersey Mike's gets that so I would expect a highly rated independent to do better. They use arugula instead of lettuce, and the dressing is way too light. They should probably add mustard or something similar. The meats were not piled high as the online menu picture indicates. Fairly average portion, suggesting they are subscribing to shrinkflation to combat rising prices. The addition of cut pepperoncini was helpful. I went with the homemade potato chips on the side, which were fine as expected. Overall it's a good sandwich, but not awesome or crave worthy. I'll definitely go back and try one of their hot sandwiches next time. Would like to find something that makes me want to come back often. You'll recall I have the same problem at Colonel Mustard's (also on that top 10 list).

9/2/23 (new entry)

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...