Thursday, September 21, 2023

I Heart Mac & Cheese ~ national chain : Colorado Springs, Colorado


First visit: Sep 2023 (Colorado Springs - Voyager)

Locations: Their website kind of blows, so it's tough to know how many nationwide. They have 3 locations in Colorado with two in the Denver area plus this location. Two more are on the way including one more in the Springs. There are 2 in DFW and one is in our old stomping grounds of North Richland Hills. So some of my older readers can check it out too!

I should have known this is a large chain (based out of the Miami area it appears). I happened to be next door at our favorite taco spot Zapatas when they had their grand opening. Predictably there was a line around the block. Americans just aren't happy unless they're standing in a long line to eat at a trendy place. I didn't even know what I Heart Mac & Cheese was about, but figured I'd try it when the crowds thinned out. Which happened pretty quickly since it wasn't that long ago.

Walk in and order at the counter to the right and you pay at the left. It looks assembly line, but you order from the menu. The gimmick here is mac n cheese of course with all sorts of variations. The core of most dishes is elbow macaroni and creamy cheese. I went for the Chicken Parm mac n cheese. A pretty decent sized portion comes out. Not near hot enough. I expect bubbling cheese! Of course it doesn't help that they serve the meals in hard plastic disposable containers rather than a ceramic dish. I mean it wasn't warm or anything, but these kind of dishes need steam coming off of each noodle. The chicken was laughable. Popcorn round chicken balls right out of the freezer bag. I can do 'dat! If there was an Italian styled sauce present, I missed it, though I noticed a touch of red in there. Not getting the hype on I Heart Mac & Cheese. It was filling and reasonably tasty but hardly crave worthy. I'll probably try their Cuban at some point. Or maybe not.

This isn't a chain that grew out of a small and loved independent fast food place. Nope - corporate boardroom all the way with investors and expansion plans. OK, I tried it and can now act all knowledgeable at the next dinner party that I will reluctantly be forced to go to.

9/21/23 (new entry)

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...