Tuesday, January 17, 2023

The Post Chicken & Beer ~ Denver, Colorado


First visit: Jan 2023 (Denver - Rosedale)

Well this wasn't the original plan. I had MLK day off and decided to go record digging in Denver. I originally had targeted a sandwich shop only to find out it's mainly a catering place. The website was very confusing on that front. OK fine - what's nearby? Some interesting place that makes all kinds of bacon. Walk in, start to grab a barstool, and I'm told "sir, there's a 45 minute wait". For an empty barstool? Who ever heard of such a thing? First come first serve, that's always the way for bar seating. There was no one waiting inside - probably sitting in their car and they'll ping you when it's time. Well that sucks. Oh but wait - I parked right next to a pizza joint that promises by the slice. They even had a sign on their door indicating they're open on MLK, even though it's a holiday. Came back - close inspection said they were opening an hour later. C'mon - this is a conspiracy! Thank God Mrs. RJG wasn't with me - she'd have been furious. OK - next option. A short walk away is The Post Chicken and Beer. The only reason I hadn't circled it already is they don't open until 11. After all of my mishaps, the clock just turned 11. Let's go there.

I was the first in the door, about 5 minutes after opening. Grab a bar stool, and I can clearly see the restaurant is already ready for business. I usually avoid going to places when they first open, as they're never ready. Seems like "open at 11:00 means kitchen is ready at 11:30". Not here. They were going full blast with the head chef ensuring all the chickens were cooked to the proper heat. Perfect. The Post is also a brewery (in nearby Lafayette) and I've had a few of their beers prior, but I found one quickly that I hadn't tried. Cold and delicious. What am I ordering? I must try their chicken. So I went with a fried chicken sandwich, with pickled pepper relish and dijonnaise. 


Take a look at that bad boy. Now we're talking. I picked away on the chicken at first. Excellent. The bread was toasted Mrs. RJG style and the condiments were perfect. Fries were excellent and I added one of their signature habanero sauces to it later.

The Post is a very welcoming place with a light wood interior and large windows to allow plenty of light. It sits in a very hip part of central-south Denver, with tons of new condos and townhomes going up at a rapid rate. This area was fairly dilapidated when I first moved to Denver in the mid 90s. Of course, all this comes with a huge price tag. I really do enjoy areas like this, but not sure they make economic sense to reside here (rents are exhorbitant). Happy to visit and eat here though! Watch those crowds though. As I was leaving, The Post was pretty much filled up some 30+ minutes later from my arrival.

As of this writing, The Post Chicken & Beer have 7 locations, mostly north and west of Denver. The Rosedale neighborhood location is the furthest south.

1/17/23 (new entry)

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...