Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Granelli's Pizzeria ~ Castle Rock, Colorado


Latest visit: Dec 2023

First visit: Dec 2022

We're back at Granelli's almost one year to the date. And yes, once again with Old Boss. We had much to catch up on since it's been a full year. We're both still at the same company even though he retired then unretired. I rarely get to eat pizza, so I wanted to revisit Granelli's. And despite my bold claims below, I stuck with an 11" thin crust pizza with "hot" sausage. Absolutely delicious. I need to come here on my own next time I'm crate digging in the area or bring Mrs. RJG along. I'm sure I'll try something else. Probably not...

---original 12/21/22 review

It was time to meet Old Boss again, a good friend going on 27 years now. Met him originally at the same place as Mrs. RJG and Rude Dante, though he didn't work for the same company, but rather one of the software vendors. Fortuitous meeting as he indeed hired me for my first job after marriage in 1997. And we've been close ever since. Today we work again for the same firm in our familiar roles. We cannot escape large software companies it would appear.

Old Boss suggested we try Granelli's Pizza, a Castle Rock legend going on 25+ years now. Despite being a resident of nearby Castle Pines, he'd never been. And neither had I, so it was a perfect choice. Sitting just outside the busiest part of downtown Castle Rock, Granelli's is a quaint full service restaurant with a hearty menu of pizzas and Italian specialties. They originally started on the south side of Chicago, and that's why their slogan is what it is. I was tempted to try a deep dish, but having just experienced a mediocre offering from Giordano's in Chicago, I stayed thin crust. With homemade rolled hot Italian sausage. Hey that's two pizza's in a row with that! The thin crust - square and corner cut - reminds me very much of my time working in Racine, Wisconsin (also in 1997 - while reporting to Old Boss in a consulting role - synchronicity overload!). In any case, it was delicious. Mrs. RJG would have approved. Thin crispy crust, plenty of cheese, good sauce, and great tasting sausage. Would like to try one of their Italian entrees at some point, or even a sandwich. Perhaps next year, as Castle Rock is a usual stop on my Denver crate digging runs. Looking forward to a revisit.

12/21/22 (new entry); 12/27/23

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...