Saturday, December 3, 2022

RJG Annual Review of the Megachains

This is something I'd intended on doing last year but forgot about it. From the advent of this blog in 2008, you'll find that the RJG rails against the mega chain. I've always been one to cheer on the independent, or the local chain. Or even the regional chain - especially these as they seemed to be well run and uniformly consistent among various locations. And now today, one can honestly say that the national chain has improved quite a bit. Anywhere from Jersey Mike's to Five Guys to Freddy's to Slim Chickens, these chains have proven to be reliably good. And we have a separate posting for all of those and more. Much has changed in these last 15 years of the RJG, that's for sure.

But what about the megachain? These are the places I was really going after. They are mostly publicly traded corporations where the profit and revenue are far more important than taste and customer service. Sure, those latter two characteristics should assist in obtaining the former, but one doesn't always lead to the other. And to be honest - most people just flat out don't care. If they did, there wouldn't be a line around every McDonalds at breakfast time. 

The pandemic softened my attitude towards these chains as well. In some cases, they were the only places that were open. For one, they had drive-thru's, a feature I took full advantage of in the lockdown phase. It was safe, and I didn't have to worry about masking up (though there was a movement in Denver to try to make that happen in drive-thru's - knuckleheads all of them). But - and it's a big BUT - the megachains continue to prove one thing: They are wildly inconsistent. Sometimes they are awesome while at others they're just terrible. Of course most of them hire kids while still in school (or dropouts). Sometimes those kids are in charge of the kitchen. You just can't expect too much out of a modern 16 year old kid. Some are far advanced, but most aren't. A friend of mine used to own 14 Taco Bell's in West Texas and Fort Worth. He said he couldn't find managers that weren't crystal meth addicts. Jeesh! And those were the managers....

With that opening, I'll list my favorites from top to bottom. None of these have a separate feature in the RJG and probably never will. I'll also put my last visit for context. As you can tell, many I haven't bothered go back to in many years, so I'm leaving them out for now. Each year, I'll update this posting and move forward starting in 2022.

1. Chick Fil-A. Last visit: Nov 2022. No surprise here. I think many people would put Chick Fil-A at the top in this category. It's just a well run chain. I go all the time to our local branch. They have mastered the art of fast food. And I love their chicken sandwiches and nuggets. Grab a sack full at the drive through during my lunch break (remember, I work from home when not traveling) and watch some TV. Good stuff. They also get top marks for being the most reliable during the pandemic (along with Schlotzskys which we have a separate posting for).

2. Arby's. Last visit: Aug: 2022. Arby's is the single most aggravating megachain of all time. They introduce a new menu item - it's awesome - and then they remove it so you can go back and eat their lame chicken sandwiches that they make a huge profit from. What is wrong with these people? Arby's successfully moved past Chick Fil-A during the pandemic. I loved their Italian deli sub. And then they introduced a hamburger which was awesome. And then their chicken cordon bleu sandwich. All of which were great. Removed. Bland turkey sandwich instead? Now the burger is back. They're like drug pushers. Get you hooked and then give you a cheap alternative - at the same price. Oh well. When it's all said and done, I think Arby's ends up in second place - for this sad list anyway. Haha.

3. Jimmy John's. Last visit: Jul 2022. Ya know, I've really moved Jimmy John's way up over the years. In the old days their sandwiches were really skimpy - and boring. But they've improved dramatically in that department. We had one near our office in Baltimore (closed now - both our office and Jimmy John's) and that's when I started to reengage with the chain. Now I go to one in the south part of the Springs near a thrift shop. It's always good. I should make them #2, but Arby's has better product - when they feel up to it that is.

Popeye's. Last visit: Feb 2022. There are times when I think that Popeye's is the best national chain. And then they let me down. Again and again. Now they've even removed one of my favorite menu items: Dirty Rice. I know many others agree with me - why on earth did they do that? Sure it was gross, but it was great gross. Do you know why they did that? And this is exactly why I hate megachains. Because... "it was part of a simplification initiative". Read: Less profits because it was too inconvenient to make. Who cares what the customers want! We need to be more efficient! I didn't know Henry Ford was still alive? During the pandemic, their chicken sandwich was a favorite for the Mrs. and I. Though there was a bone in one of my sandwiches (nice). Then Popeyes became notorious for not opening their stores because they had no employees. Everyone else did! How bad is your management then? The last time I went (date above) even the chicken sandwich blew. See what I mean about inconsistency?

Taco Bell. Last visit: Oct 2022. There was a time in the mid to late 1980s when Taco Bell made up my daily diet. Their tacos were reliably cheap and good. And that's all I would ever get here - tacos. I would suggest you do the same. Things like bean burritos here are just terrible. Over the years, Taco Bell has slid downwards, though they did finally introduce a hot sauce that was actually spicy. Nowadays I almost never go - not even during the pandemic. They just opened a new one nearby the Chick Fil-A above. I was curious. Grabbed a bag of tacos to take home. Not bad. Not good.

And the above were the only ones I went to in 2022. Other than Chick Fil-A and Jimmy John's, the others didn't see me more than once.

I'll cover a few more that I last visited in 2021. And then we'll revisit this post next year. Maybe I'll even go back to Burger King... Maybe.

Carl's Jr. Last visit: Oct 2021. I don't know what to make of this chain. They're really pretty good - I like their burgers. But not crazily so. I never have craved Carl's Jr. When they first opened in Parker in the late 90s (where we used to live) I was excited to try them. And I enjoyed it then as I do now. I dunno - it always feels like they "do the needful". I need an addicting item here and never have found it. 

Subway. Last visit: Jul 2021. I do like Subway. And I am forever grateful to this chain during the pandemic. Next to Chick Fil-A and Schlotzsky's, they were my go-to option for lunch. Their sandwiches are pretty good all things considered. They are no Jersey Mike's that's for sure, but at half the price, you really can't complain. I remember when they were "all the rage" in the middle 80s when we got our first location in Lubbock. I won't ever turn my nose up at Subway, but there are clearly better alternatives. While I didn't go this year, I made up for it in 2020 and the first half of 2021. Prior to that I almost never went there either. 

Wendy's. Last visit: Dec 2020. OK last one. Prior to this last visit, Wendy's was #2 on my list. I've been a big fan of the chain since I first tried them in northern Virginia in 1978. When they opened their first location (that I knew of) in Dallas in 1980, I wanted to go every week. I used to love their buffet when they had that in the late 80s. And when I was a road warrior consultant in the late 90s, Wendy's provided a reliable quick lunch: Spicy chicken sandwich and a chocolate Frosty. But over the years they just continued on a downward spiral. They are the epitome of "letting the children and meth addicts run the store". On this last visit (ever?) I ordered a spicy chicken sandwich. They didn't even cook it! Nothing like a cold uncooked chicken breast. I had taken it to-go. So it wasn't even worth driving back to get my money returned. The end of civilization as we know it.

12/3/22 (new entry)

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...