Thursday, June 22, 2023

Felipe's 109 ~ Colorado Springs, Colorado


Latest visit: Jun 2023

First visit: Jun 2021

As I was reminiscing on the Cy's entry about the celebration of my one year anniversary of receiving my job offer, Felipe's 109 represents my out-of-work life. Last year I had just been abruptly let go in late April, which lead to the current position (nothing I did, just change in business direction, that impacted far more folks than myself). Two years ago I was looking at my very first no-job-but-on-severance situation. That role ended in divestiture, that I was in charge of. I was responsible for my own demise lol. So it's refreshing to visit Felipe's 109 without so much drama in my life.

And I'm happy to report that they did make all the changes I grumbled about in the last 2 years. They now have covered wooden park benches outside (along with the concrete monstrosities for overflow). They also flipped the drink machine so we can self-serve. And all of this at no cost to us - because the food is just as good as before. I stayed loyal and ordered what I always: 2 Tacoburgers, fries, and a drink. I really should go here more often. Not being open on Sunday does impact that situation though.

---4/29/22 update

Time for the annual review, and I'm happy to say that Felipe's is exactly the same as I remember it from last year. Had the same thing: 2 Taco Burgers with fries and a drink. It's a messy meal considering the green chile cheese sauce, but it's very flavorful. And the crispy shell holds up despite this. Just get extra napkins and you'll need that fork. As for the changes suggested from last year, we were largely ignored lol. The drink machine is still filled by the counter person, though at least I received it right away before my meal. The cement park benches still don't have umbrellas. And there's no air conditioning, but fortunately this was a late April day and it was very pleasant inside. The stools are still too big for the tables. But at least now they have regular seating including normal tables and chairs as well. Much more welcoming space than prior.

BTW - worth noting: You can't get here via Academy even though that's the address that it sits on (and you can see it clearly from the road). I made that mistake this time and ended up taking almost a 10 minute round trip to get back. You have to enter via Boychuk off of Hancock Expressway. No wonder the shopping center is empty! There's a megachurch there and nothing else but Felipe's 109. I just followed Google Maps last time, so I didn't realize this until now.

---original 6/24/21 review

Felipe's 109 is an established food truck who recently opened up a brick and mortar restaurant in an old shopping center not too far from one of my thrifting haunts, way down south. Near another RJG favorite Taste of Philly (other side of Hancock), that we have in these very pages. Not sure what this building was before, but they've clearly renovated it. Sleek aluminum tables and hardwood floors. When you walk in, you'll be right at the counter. You'll get a quick walkthrough of their limited menu. We like limited menus! Focus on what you're good at. I already knew I was getting the taco burger combo which includes fries and a drink. Sat down, and had to wait a bit as they had just received some large to-go orders. One downside is they don't allow you access to the drink machine, and they made me wait until I got my order. I was thirsty, so that wasn't good. The stools are also too big for the tables lol. And they still have a pandemic look with way too much spacing and not enough seating. They have 3 fetching concrete patio setups outside, but no umbrellas, so that option was out. And no air conditioning inside, and in this part of the Springs, it gets pretty hot in the summer. Hopefully they'll be able to rectify all of this soon enough. I guess if they keep getting those large takeout orders, they'll be rolling in dough. Anyway, all easy fixes.

Finally my meal and drink showed up. They ran out of ice. Ha - one of those days. They did get some as I was leaving, and offered me another drink (new cup) which was nice. Actually the ladies who work here are very nice. Death metal seemed to be the music of choice for the cook, which gave me a wry smile. I started in on the fries and they were absolutely delicious. And piping hot - yes! The taco burgers are very interesting - and favorable to the RJG.  You get two per combo order (they're $3 each if you want to try one a la carte). They come in a very crispy homemade taco shell with hamburger meat (yes, a cooked hamburger, not like a ground beef taco) with lettuce, tomato, and the best part - a homemade green chili sauce with queso. I could see this becoming an addicting food. The chili was hot in temperature and had a nice kick too. It's a bit sloppy, but that's OK.

So yea, definitely a thumbs up from the RJG. Love new food concepts such as this. I originally put Mexican in the labels, but that's misleading. No tacos y enchiladas here. Taco burgers and creative bowls is their schtick. Try them out!

6/24/21 (new entry); 4/29/22; 6/22/23

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...