Sunday, May 12, 2024

Birdcall ~ regional chain : Colorado Springs, Colorado


Latest visit: May 2024 (Dublin @ Barnes)

First visit: Jun 2021 (Dublin @ Barnes)

HQ: Denver, CO (founded: 2016)

Locations: 14 (+4). Colorado: 8 all in the Denver / Boulder metro except this one here in the Springs. Arizona: 3 (+2) all in the Phoenix area. Texas: 3 (+2) all in the DFW area. None in Tarrant County. Closest would be Carrollton (a former RJG homestead).

Back for my 3rd visit in four years. I am now spending more time on the Powers corridor, so that's why you're seeing more eastern Colorado Springs entries. On this visit I knuckled in my usual Nashville Hot chicken sandwich (stayed with "hot"), tater tots, and a regular soda. It still doesn't like my credit card (too advanced apparently) so I used my debit card this time. $15 later I await my meal. They ask for a tip. I do all the work and they want a tip. It's so ridiculous. Soon they'll ask we clean the bathrooms before leaving... Anyway, the large television screen told me my order would be ready in just over 6 minutes. Perfect. I get everything ready and wait. Uh-oh - 5 minutes in, it switched to "Soon". What does that mean? It means you're not getting the order when we said you would. Suddenly I'm at the airport with a delayed flight and no information. It was over 10 minutes before I got my order. So as much as I praised their system in the past, there's the downside. Missed expectations. It's worse when you're hungry. An additional 5 minute wait is hardly something to take to City Hall, but it does expose a weakness in the system. Regardless...

I enjoyed my sandwich (perfect heat level and temperature) as well as the tots, and even the fizzy drink was more tasty than normal. Birdcall stays in the rotation, though once a year is about right. Not a cheap date and my elbows hurt from scrubbing the floors...

---1/23/23 update

Didn't manage to visit Birdcall for all of 2022, though I had it circled to do so. Problem is I'm rarely in this part of town. Dublin is now the beginning (if coming from the north like us) of the "Powers nightmare" stretch, since they recently finished the Research Pkwy freeway bridge. I try to avoid the area, and will only come here if there's a garage or estate sale happening. Which is exactly the impetus of the first visit below. Well this time I made Birdcall the destination. After going to The Post, I wanted to contrast and compare. 

First thing I noticed is that they took down the confusing pandemic-era parking signs. Regardless, the drive-thru was much more popular on this day than dine-in. But for a sandwich like this, I'd rather eat inside. Went straight to the computer screens as noted below, and my chip reader credit card doesn't like to be swiped, so I had to order the old fashioned way via the barkeep. From there everything went as below, though now I have my name back lol. And I didn't get a beer either.

The Nashville Chicken on this visit was way spicy. And that's coming from me, who's constantly pushing for more heat. I did ask for the regular, not extra. But I wonder if they didn't mix that up on the order? That's why I brought up the credit card swipe issue above. Anyway - it was delicious (extra heat isn't going to deter me), and just as I remember otherwise. The tater tots were normal, no "tiger seasoning". I asked about that, but the gentleman that helped me gave a quizzical look. Not sure if I caught a special last time, or it's no longer on the menu (looking up - oh poo - I hate these online menus that insist you order something and they tell you they're closed. Jeez.). The lost art of IT (sigh).

Anyway... they were very good and he later offered me a sauce to dip them in, so I grabbed the sriracha aioli. That was nice of him and it was a good condiment. All in all, another great visit. Probably will be another year before coming back, but if in the area during lunch, I'll definitely stop in.

Since last year, Birdcall has expanded by 2 locations, now totaling 10. They added two to the Denver/Boulder area giving them 7 (plus this one Co Springs location). The Phoenix area dropped one, so they're down to Scottsdale. Most interesting to me is that they just expanded to the old RJG stomping grounds of Carrollton, Texas! Mr. Music - you need to go! As do my old NE Tarrant readers - it's not too far for something new like this.

--- original 6/5/21 review

Upon arrival, the first thing you see is a large informative sign that says "wait here". Wait for what? I was there before opening. Drive around the sign, and every parking space is marked "curbside pickup". Huh? Drove around again, and figured I should just park there anyway. I asked, and sure enough, that's what you're supposed to do. Birdcall needs to update their December pandemic look. No matter, once walking in, you'll be greeted with 3 computer screens. Go to any of them and swipe your credit card to get started. I did that - and Mrs. RJG's name came up. Huh? Ah, she went a couple of days prior with her official Mom, and I guess registered her name. From there, ordering was pretty straightforward. I went for the Nashville Hot chicken sandwich, tater tots, and - ah what the heck - a beer on tap. Easy settlement process and then Mrs. RJG's name was on the computer screen telling me to wait 4 minutes. I feel so transgendered. I'm so hip! Great - grabbed a bar stool and waited. So yes, they have a bar with about 6 to 7 taps. Then the screen said my order was ready and what bay # it was sitting in. There are many, but since I was essentially first, it was the only one there. Back to the bar stool, open the bag, and lets-a-get-a-started.

Oh I like these tater tots - a lot. Great seasoning - what they call "tiger seasoning". Lots of flavor, and tots are better than fries for absorbing the seasoning. Bite into the sandwich. While the word "crispy" didn't enter my mind, it certainly wasn't mushy or messy either. The Nashville hot seasoning had penetrated deep. Very flavorful and it packed a nice punch. You have a choice of hot or extra hot, but I just stuck with the regular. Good thing. I think extra hot would have been too dominating. Nice buttery bread top too. As for the beer, they have their own brand, called Birdcall naturally enough. Based on what I can tell, various Denver breweries will make a beer for them, so it's not a exclusive arrangement. This location had the Birdcall Pilsner, which is made by the Denver Beer Company, and I'll register in the Bier Reise shortly. It was delicious. They also had some local Colorado Springs beers. You wouldn't necessarily come here for the beer, but at least their selection is local. I happened to notice they have Tractor Beverages for the fountain drinks. They're a soda/drink maker from Coeur d'Alenne, Idaho and feature all natural, organic, etc, etc... Yea, yea, this place is all about being with-it. Personally I appreciate the unique brands.


Speaking of hip, Birdcall nails the modern way. Wide open spaces, industrial look, computer screens everywhere, craft beer, and "non gender" bathrooms. Or what we used to call "uni-sex". The more things change, the more they... yea. All that doesn't matter if the food isn't good, and most certainly is. We'll be back for sure. Oh, the ladies that work here were all uniformly nice and professional. 

This is definitely a different market than Chick-Fil-A or Popeye's. I would expect to see fast growth from this budding chain.

6/25/21 (new entry); 1/23/23; 5/11/24

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...