Saturday, July 15, 2023

Billy Sims Barbecue ~ regional chain :


Latest visit: Apr 2023 (Colorado Springs - closed)

First visit: Dec 2018 (Colorado Springs - closed)

Colorado Springs location is now closed. I'll update this post if we go to another location.

---4/16/23 notes

OK we're back sooner this year for our annual Billy Sims Barbecue visit. They still had the "limited time" chili, so I went for that as my side (dollar extra) to my go-to Heisman sandwich. This time I substituted chopped brisket for pulled pork ($1 more). So how did we compare to last year's visit? Touchdown! The chili was steaming hot and very flavorful. Probably the best Texas styled chili I've had since leaving the state. They added onions and cheese per request. The sandwich was delicious as well, with the chopped brisket giving it a different flavor profile. I hope they remove the interim tag from the chili and make it a permanent item. I noticed on this visit they have sliders. I may try 3 or 4 of them next time to get the full palette of meats they offer. I need to go here more often than once a year, that's for certain.

Latest chain news: There are 24 locations in Oklahoma; 7 in Kansas; 2 in Wisconsin; 1 each in Missouri, Iowa, and Michigan. Plus the one location here in Colorado Springs. Total of 37, down one from last year.

---12/1/22 notes

Back for our annual review. A small downward turn from last time, but still the best BBQ we've had in the Springs. Though we're not claiming that title still, as we've only been to a handful since moving back here. On this visit, I got exactly what I did below. Most items were equal in quality, and I'm wanting to give a slight edge to the pulled pork this time. The bologna could have been a bit hotter temperature though, and the bread would need to be more toasty for Mrs. RJG's approval (though I saw them put it in their unique toaster). Worse was that the mac n' cheese was gummy this time, and not creamy (boo). It was served hot, but it just seemed a little old. Added a pepperoncini this time, which was great. Definitely a filling sandwich, not something many barbecue places can claim. We'll be back next year and probably need to go more often and try other items. They had a "limited time" chili, which I'm regretting not having instead of the mac.

As of this writing, there are 38 Billy Sims BBQ restaurants, mostly in Oklahoma plus 6 other states. Colorado represents the western border, and it's only this location in the Springs, down one from last year. Overall they lost 4 stores since 2021.


---original 6/19/21 review

For many of us, Billy Sims is fondly remembered as a college football running back legend. He won the Heisman as a junior (rare) at the University of Oklahoma for the 1978 season. I was still in junior high school by this point, which is at an age when you begin to pay close attention to such things. Sims also had a great start with the Detroit Lions, but a serious knee injury cut his career short at only 4+ years. In 2004, along with a business partner, Sims launched the barbecue place with his namesake in Tulsa, Oklahoma. 

This was only my second visit, but I remember enjoying the first one. And going on 3 years, nothing has changed. While I no doubt need to try more bbq in town, so far Billy Sims is coming out on top. I obviously need to visit here more often. It's a spacious and welcoming place sitting comfortably in a strip center right off the road. Walk in, head to the counter and order away. I went for The Heisman, a healthy sized sandwich that includes bologna, hot link (with cheese), and pulled pork (chopped brisket can replace the latter if desired). As a side, I went with the mac and cheese. Added a pickle and a drink, and off to my table I went. Always glad to see Diet Dr. Pepper at the fountain, so that's a nice bonus. As I often do with a sandwich, I pick a little bit at it, so I can taste each of the meats, and also soak pieces of bread into the two hot sauce containers I asked for (hickory and spicy in this case). And occasionally I'll have full bites of the entire sandwich, with and without sauce. It's an art lol. Excellent all around, and I think bologna is something many barbecue places typically eschew, and they really shouldn't. The cheese infused hot link is also a winning idea. The sauces are also both excellent, though it doesn't need them for the meats to be flavorful. The mac n' cheese was really good as well. The key? It comes out super hot, so it stays creamy. How often do we get this dish and it's already gummy? It stayed hot for the duration too. And I really appreciate they gave me two pickle spears, and very good at that. If you're a barbecue fan, definitely give Billy Sims BBQ a shot if you haven't been already.

12/1/18; 6/19/21 (new entry); 12/1/22; 4/16/23; 7/15/23

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...