Sunday, January 8, 2023

B Street Cafe ~ Pueblo, Colorado


Latest visit: Jan 2023

First visit: Jan 2022

It was time for my annual record buying trip to Pueblo, though based on the success I had this visit, I probably will make an effort to return 4 to 6 times more this year. If for nothing else to try more great Pueblo restaurants, which is beginning to establish itself - in my mind - that it competes strongly with New Mexico. In fact, while touring the whole city yesterday, I came to the realization that if Pueblo was actually in New Mexico, it would have a better reputation. It feels like New Mexico, and not so much Colorado. And if they had a culinary bake off with Colorado Springs, I'm pretty sure Pueblo would win. 

Speaking of New Mexico, in the interim between these posts, I did manage to get Mrs. RJG here on our way to Santa Fe last April (that trip was documented in these pages, but not B Street since I'd recently been here). She loved it as well, though not the chorizo as an fyi.

On this visit, I had exactly what I've had the other 2 trips: The Breakfast Burrito. The temperature of the chile could have used a boost, but otherwise just as delicious as the below review suggests. And I didn't mention this last time, but I'm pretty sure the sausage is of the Italian variety, which makes it that much better. The excellent ambience and superb service remains.

B Street Café is establishing itself as one of my favorite breakfast haunts in the country. Be sure to go here if in Pueblo.


--- original 1/9/22 review

B Street Cafe has restored my faith in trying new restaurants. After a string of mediocre to very good places, I finally found a restaurant that I can call excellent to superb. It's only been one visit, but they did everything right. No worker shortage excuses here.

I parked across the street from the B Street entrance, but locals usually park in the back where there's more room to wait. Fortunately I didn't have to wait and was seated immediately in one of the small 2 person booths. There is no counter seating, so getting a table is essential, and I can tell the place is usually full. The building sits in the downtown Pueblo Historic District across the street from the Arkansas River. The décor is awesome and the space has been completely restored. Black and white checkered floors, high ornate ceilings, historical photos (e.g. all Marilyn Monroe in the men's room), and black vinyl booths. And best of all for me, jazz music. Finally a soothing environment. No annoying pop or rock. Of course I love the latter, but not when I'm eating. Give me jazz or classical, or whatever indigenous music goes with the setting. So it's perfect on that front.

Flavored creamers are on the table, so I get a cuppa joe. Weaker than I prefer, but then again, I drink one strong dark roast each morning so my taste buds have a different expectation. Now comes what matters, the breakfast itself. The choice is easy: B Street Burrito. That which comes with eggs, sausage (cut very finely), ham, fried pappas (potatoes), and bacon (not on the menu version, but I'm sure mine had some). Smothered in red or green. Or... both. Of course I did the latter. The red is very fine like a sauce, so it's different than its New Mexican cousin. Superb flavor with a nice fiery kick too. The green is a traditional Colorado pork green chili that was just as delicious and completely different to the red (as it should be). I gobbled that whole big 'ol' fat burrito with one big smile the entire time. Just awesome.

A tad expensive, though I did get my money's worth for once. $20 including tip for the above. Can't wait to take Mrs. RJG here. When we go to Santa Fe for a week (hoping March), we'll stop here for breakfast on the way (ed: ended up being April, but we did accomplish this goal).

1/8/22 (new entry); 1/7/23

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...