Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Aung's Bangkok Cafe ~ Englewood, Colorado


First visit: Jan 2022

One of our Official Niece's and Nephew-in-Law's wanted to treat Mrs. RJG and I out for a Thai food lunch. Who are we to say no? We used to take her out for Thai food when she was still a teen in both Texas and Denver, and she's been in these pages before. And now she's all grown up, married (she did well too!), and they both have good jobs. Cool! 

Oh wow - look where we are - the old RJG stomping grounds of 1995 to 1997! Rude Dante would approve of the location as well. We're near the original El Tepehuan steakhouse, and we used to also eat along this corridor back in the day. And there was a Thai restaurant here once - across the street. It wasn't for us though. Official Niece knows what we like, and this is their favorite local joint. Can't wait.

Walk in - nice place! This isn't a dive-y Thai restaurant. Ooo, and they have wine and beer too. Colorado Springs - anyone listening? I was going to teetotal, but these two are so corrupting, I just had to imbibe in one Singha, since they did too. Mrs. RJG stuck with water (what's wrong with her? lol). First nice touch: They bring you cold bottled water. Wow, that's different. And they offered the same after we ate and were just yapping away for an hour.

Niece suggest we have appetizers, and so we started with Crab Cheese Wanton and Vegetable Egg Roll. I was a little uneasy at first about the former, as it's usually kinda... gross. But no, I was pleasantly surprised at the crispy fried cheese dish. It was more Greek or Italian than what I associate Asian cheese with. The egg roll was excellent as well, with the bean sprouts providing the nutrients. Super hot temperature too. Yes!

I knew what I wanted for lunch the minute I saw the menu online. Basil Chicken. Ground chicken is the default so you already know they have a clue. Everyone warned me off of Thai Hot, so I got regular Hot. I need to stop listening to all the fear talk. It was hot - not saying different - but oh yea, I could have gone another level. I wanted it with a fried egg, but they don't have that! What? They go to great lengths to be authentic Bangkok Thai, only to fumble the ball at the end zone. Oh well, it was still very delicious, and crave worthy. NephewIL got the Bangkok Fried Rice and Mrs. RJG the Vegetable Delight. Both enjoyed it immensely. Niece went with Drunken Noodle, and she also really liked her meal. Uncle RJG had the biggest appetite as I was the only one to finish my meal. The rest got boxes.

The Kids Know Best! Great suggestion, and a new destination place for the Misses and/or I when in Denver. We suggest the same for you.

1/18/22 (new entry)

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...