Sunday, July 24, 2022

Sabor Mexican Grill ~ Centennial, Colorado


Latest visit: Jul 2022

First visit: Nov 2017 (Aurora)

Summary: Not as good as my memory had it. Perhaps I ordered the wrong thing? 

Quick program note: We are still keeping up. Nothing new since the Cowcatchers have left and that includes our annual reviews. No word from Mr. Music or Rude Dante either. But plenty is coming. I have a new job that promises some travel, so we'll see what that ultimately leads to. Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

---

Sabor is a place I've had circled to return to since we moved back to Colorado Springs in 2018. It was the last restaurant for me to visit on my semi-annual visits to Colorado. And I thought it was fantastic. Essentially Sabor is of the modern variety of Mexican taqueria's. They cater both to the Hispanic community (in particular the local workers), as well as to the gringo's who work and live nearby. I prefer these places, as I admittedly tend to be overly guero. Mr. Music is more hardcore than I in these matters. Funny enough, he's more hardcore than Mrs. RJG, and she's a true Hispanic from Mexico! In any case, I was about to embark on a long day of crate digging in Denver for record inventory. That means I need a big meal to sustain me throughout the day without interruption.

With that, I went about ordering the Big Burrito with ham and eggs, which is essentially their large breakfast burrito. It promises pork green chili. I just presumed it meant smothered. That was the wrong presumption, but since it's assembly line, they fixed the matter for me on the spot. The chili, however, is of the reddish variety, and was very mild. I remember them having a hot option. I saw stickers that had the word Hot on them, so I presume that's still a choice. But it's not on their menu. I must have asked about it on my first visit, and didn't do it here. Even worse is the chile wasn't that hot of a temperature either. The remainder: Ham & eggs (which they cook together and keep separate from other offerings), cheese, rice, and beans were all uniformly very good. And it served its primary purpose of giving me a gargantuan sized breakfast. Important foodstuff as it were. But I didn't have the best experience on this visit. I will try them again at some point and reflect on this review as a reminder to seek out a hotter version.

As for the location - a large comfortable modern space is offered. It sits in a typical strip mall near multiple offices. It was fairly crowded on this Saturday morning, and everyone got theirs To-Go except me. One Hispanic construction worker purchased probably a dozen burritos, so I'm sure it's popular with that crowd. Not sure what he ordered though.

11/13/17; 7/24/22 (new entry)

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...