Friday, July 9, 2021

Border Burger Bar ~


First visit: Jul 2021 (Colorado Springs - closed)

The review below was for their location in Colorado Springs, which has now closed. They are still open in Manitou Springs and El Paso, Texas. If I get to either of them (Manitou more likely...) then I'll update at that time.

Saw this restaurant recently while driving up and down Academy doing the routines. It's your classic craft burger tavern, and those were the RJG's favorite places pre-pandemic. Time to get back into some bad habits. Walk in, and you can take a booth, table, or sit at the bar to your right. I took the latter, since I was by myself. Out comes a very large burger menu, and a nice selection of Colorado craft beers to choose from (about 9). Mostly from the Springs, but a couple of others from the state. So I selected one from our very own FH Beerworks, and then chose The Coloradoan. This burger's distinctions include green chile (hear that, did ya Wienerschnitzel?), Swiss cheese, avocado, tomato, spring mix (arugula, etc...), onion slices, and lemon zest aioli. Yea, it's pretty chef-fy, but I'm all for a local burger. I passed on the avocado, as I really wanted to savor the green chile - which is mixed into the ground beef + they add a sliced Anaheim pepper. I asked for truffle fries as well. Basically fries with truffle oil and parm cheese and parsley (excellent BTW). They don't mention it, but this burger comes in a potato bun. The burger was cooked medium well, since I didn't specify. All very good, though I didn't get as much chile flavor as hoped. But given that they have 20 different options, I'll be sure to try something else next time. Overall I was most reminded of an old RJG favorite back in DFW called Jac Mac's Swill and Grill (which you can find in these very pages). Perhaps not quite as beer focused, but the menu certainly is geared similarly. Friendly counter service as well. Great place - we'll be back for sure.

Border Burger Bar is a very small regional chain. They started in El Paso, Texas (hence the name) with only one location there before branching to the Springs area, where they also have one in downtown Manitou Springs - a perfect fit for the tourist foot traffic they receive.

7/9/21 (new entry)

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...