Sunday, September 22, 2019

Hudson Street Stackhouse ~ Baltimore, Maryland


Latest visit: Sep 2019

First visit: Mar 2017

Before the RJG had discovered Max’s Taphouse (the first two tries, both on Sunday, I was shutout of getting a barstool), Hudson Street Stackhouse was my go-to Baltimore joint for trying new beers. But since it is in Canton, it’s a good hoof by foot away, thus limiting it to Sunday late afternoons (I suppose I could take Uber, but that takes the fun out of trying more local places). From a beer perspective, Hudson Street is ground zero if you’re a big fan of Belgians. The RJG is decidedly not, but they do offer, of course, IPA’s, stouts, and other more “normal” beers as well. From a “local neighborhood joint” perspective, Hudson Street is hard to beat. Most patrons are locals from the Canton neighborhood, and they’re proud of it. You get “Baltimore pride” when you’re here, and it’s highly likely you’ll be engaged in a friendly dialog. I find myself rooting for the Orioles, even though I’ve been a Rangers fan all my life. For me, the allure ironically is no longer about the beer, but rather the food. Their Italian dishes compete toe to toe with what I can get closer by in Little Italy. Maybe even better. The chicken parmesan sandwich is gigantic, and it comes with a steak knife to cut it. You may want to lift some weights first before trying. Their linguini with homemade meatballs is divine, and I like the “spicy” option, which of course includes throwing a few more kickers into the sauce. By the third beer, with the spice levels building to a climax, if you’re not seeing visions of heaven, well then, you might be clinically dead. Check your pulse.

3/19/17; 8/14/18 (new entry); 9/22/19

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...