Friday, June 21, 2024

Omelets Etc ~ Colorado Springs, Colorado


Latest visit: Jun 2024 (South Academy)

First visit: Oct 2018 (Interquest)

Founded: 2010 (8th Street)

Locations: 4 - 3 in Colorado Springs + 1 in Falcon.

It was Juneteenth and my company fortunately gave us the day off. So what better activity then to go thriftin'! After having great success in the morning, I found myself down south again, and I was ready for an early lunch. I've never had lunch at Omelet's Etc, so let's see what they have. After sitting at the counter, I noticed everyone was still ordering breakfast. Why break the flow? I'll get breakfast then. But rather than the usual Mexican smothered burrito, I went for an American styled meal. I ordered the Meat Platter which includes two eggs (I went with fried over medium), two links of sausage, two small slabs of ham, two pieces of bacon, hash browns, and two pancakes (what I consider the dessert). And a coffee. Plus they have Irish Creme creamers as an option, hooray. All very good as expected. I'd hoped for crunchy bacon, but it was chewy instead, almost like a beef jerky. Breakfasts like this are reliable if not overly unique. Omelet's Etc is not currently part of the RJG rotation, but I do enjoy it when I go here. Solid though not  an imaginative option when hungry.

---5/19/23 update

Managed to get here earlier this year than last. Much busier on this visit than a year ago. What inflation? Ordered my usual smothered burrito - and I remembered to order a side of green too. Also got coffee since they offer flavored creamers. Pretty much the same as the last couple of visits. The chili just isn't hot enough temperature though. I thought by ordering a side of it that would fix the problem but it did not. Not sure I need to return every year, but certainly it was enjoyable.

---10/21/22 update

Running way late on my annual review for Omelets Etc. Even though they have a store close to our house, it's actually more convenient for me to go to this southern location, as it sits next to one of my favorite thrift stores. Problem is - it's usually very crowded when I'm ready for breakfast. But on this fine Friday morning, it was half full. I plopped myself down at the counter, ordered my coffee (with flavored creamers - yaay) and proceeded to order my Breakfast Burrito smothered in green chili.

For a place that has the waitstaff wearing t-shirts proudly proclaiming 'World's Best Green Chile" one would presume they'd be more anxious to share it. I forgot to reference my notes below, and once again it came up a bit dry. Next time I must get a side order to accompany. The temperature was hotter this time - probably because they saw me eyeing the kitchen suspiciously from my counter perch (ha!). As for the best in the world claim, I would say they aren't even the best in town! Quijotes wins easily with Western Omelette right on their heels (reminder: need to get back there too and into the RJG). But.... yes, it's still quite excellent. Everything about this visit was consistent with the last one and remains a strong go-to option for breakfast. See you in 2023, if not before.

As of this writing, Omelets Etc has 4 locations in greater Colorado Springs.

--- 4/18/21 review

Omelets Etc is our local breakfast haunt. And we are fortunate to have a place as good as this nearby, where the chains tend to dominate. It's a large welcoming place. You can sit at one of the tables or booths, or grab a stool at the counter. I come here for one reason only - the smothered breakfast burrito. All the essentials like eggs, pancakes, bacon, and coffee with flavored creamers are up to snuff, though none made the kind of impression we had at First Watch. But the green chile is why we come back. Once again, a very delicious recipe, with a slight bite. I can always go for hotter (spice and temperature), but the flavor is what wins the day. If I had a complaint, it's that I wish they'd smother it more - it's usually too dry. I just need to remember that when ordering. I'm sure they would be happy to accommodate. Really not much more to add here. It's not at the super great level of Quijote's (what is?), but it still gets the A grade. If you're anywhere in Colorado Springs, then you're not going to be too far from an Omelets Etc, who are strategically placed in all four corners of the city. Give their smothered burrito a try. We keep coming back.

10/26/18; 4/20/19; 4/18/21 (new entry); 10/21/22; 5/19/23; 6/21/24

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...