Monday, April 5, 2021

Kamal Palace ~ Long Beach, California


Kamal Palace has been open and in Long Beach for over 30 years. Highly recommended by my sweetheart and a close friend (Ms. Music), and what a find it is! The menu is fairly large and has most of the staple dishes one would expect to find at a North Indian restaurant. Even several seafood dishes. Everything we've had so far has been delightful. Aloo Gobi (potatoes & cauliflower), saag paneer (seasoned spinach with Indian cheese), mutton curry, tandoori chicken and mutton vindaloo. They serve momos (a Nepalese dumpling) and biryani too (a complex rice dish; usually mutton or chicken with layers of herbs and spices like star anise, curry & bay leaves, clove, cinnamon, chilies and a whole lot more); one of my all time favorite dishes!

The portions are healthy sized too! My favorite dishes here are chicken keema (ground chicken in a spicy masala) and the amazing chicken malai (cubes of chicken swimming in a thick curry masala made with coconut cream and yogurt)! I've never had either of these dishes anywhere before, although I have had mutton keema many times. The chicken is a little lighter with less ghee.

I love that the dishes can be requested with a high degree of spiciness and they are actually spicy; VERY spicy if one desires.. and I desire!!

The naan and garlic naan (complimentary) are very nice! Papadum (crispy, super thin cracker made with is some of the best I've had and also served with all orders with cilantro/mint chutney and lucious apricot chutney. The service is great; Anil and staff are all super friendly. Since my first visit over 3 years ago, Kamal Palace has become one of my favorite restaurants. I've been a dozen or so times. I'd go more if I lived in California!

- Mr. Music review

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...