Thursday, June 13, 2024

Sonora's Prime Carniceria & Taco Shop ~ Colorado chain : Peyton


First visit: Jun 2024 (Peyton)

Locations: Two in Pueblo, and one other in eastern Colorado Springs.

Founded: 2003 (Pueblo)

I happened to be way out east this morning as there was an estate sale that was recommended to me. I rarely come out to the Falcon / Peyton area, but nothing is really that far here, so off I went. After I was finished it was about 10:30, so a good time for an early lunch. I was kind of in the mood for a hamburger but all that came up were the usual chains, all of which I can get closer to home. There were a couple of "grills" but they don't open until 11 or noon. Oh well. How about tacos?

As soon as I saw Sonora's I thought it looked promising. And most assuredly I was correct. You walk in and order at the counter straight in front. I stuck to the basics and ordered two street tacos, one carne asada, the other grilled chicken. And one ground beef hard shell taco. Sort of my standard opening salvo these days. And a salsa bar with at least 5 different flavors. Yea! The tacos were loaded with meat. Both the beef and chicken were outstanding, some of the best in town, easily competing with RJG favorite Zapata. The ground beef taco had a great flavor but I made the mistake of eating it last, and the meat defeated the shell leaving me mostly with a taco salad. The top half was still crispy, but they need more sturdy shells for this kind of heavily seasoned meat. A small matter as I still enjoyed it. The quartet of salsas that I tried were all excellent ranging from a tangy tomatillo to a spicy habanero (I think, they aren't labeled). The menu has far more items than this, and I want to try many things. For certain, Sonora's is now in the RJG rotation, likely to be the Barnes location in eastern Colorado Springs, though who knows, I may be back out here in Falcon / Peyton.

When I got back home I told Mrs. RJG about my lunch adventure. She stated she'd heard they were the best carniceria in town. It certainly looked that way to me. Very clean and fully stocked. Seems much nicer than the ones in southern Colorado Springs. She'll be trying it soon enough!

6/13/24 (new entry)

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...