Sunday, June 2, 2024

Los Dos Potrillos ~ Centennial, Colorado


Latest visit: Jun 2024 (Centennial)

First visit: Oct 2005 (Centennial)

Founded: 2002 (Centennial)

Other locations: Highlands Ranch, Littleton, Parker, Castle Rock

It was time for a Saturday family lunch get together up in Denver and we agreed to meet at Los Dos Potrillos. Mrs. RJG and I have only been here twice before, and I was anxious to try them again, especially since they now have a brewery as well. Centennial is their original location and they opened in our last year living in the area. Ironically that would be Parker where they later placed a location plus that's where the brewery is. My first visit was on a business trip for Software Company Most People Have Heard Of as my boss at the time resided in Denver. Another bit of irony since we had just moved to DFW from here. Our second visit was when we had the summer townhome not too far away. 14 some years later, we're back.

Los Dos Potrillos is two doors down from another RJG favorite: Big Bill's NY Pizza that JL and I had been going to for dinner while working the record shows (and documented on the RJG). It's what I would call an old school Colorado Mexican restaurant. Dark interior with a full bar. Had they opened a decade prior, no doubt smoke would still permeate through the air. 

The menu is huge, though 3 of the 5 (Mrs. RJG, her mom and sister) ended up getting simple Street Tacos. Us dudes tried something else. Mr. Sister Ghana went with the Molcajete, and I had a green chile smothered chicken burrito. Old school place required old school dish. The waitress asked if I only wanted one (the order is for two), I said oh heck yea!  Him and I went for two of their craft beers each (both very good), while the ladies went completely sober. That's normal for two of them but Mrs. RJG is back on a sobriety kick. No bueno. The chips are crispy good if not overly distinctive. I liked their table salsa, very piquant and flavorful, though a bit too chunky considering the tomatoes. We asked for a hotter one and received a habanero "sauce". Great flavor but too thin for chips. Good thing I only got one burrito as that was more than enough. Excellent flavor, the kind that makes me want to get back into burritos again. Mrs. RJG said the street tacos were light on the meat (wow - even for her!) and the tortillas were too doughy. Not for her.

I suspect we won't be coming back anytime soon unless the Official Sister insists on it. That's OK, there are so many places I want to go back to in Denver, and only so much free time. But I certainly wouldn't mind another meal here.

10/14/05; 8/29/10; 6/1/24 (new entry)

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...