Sunday, February 13, 2022

Skirted Heifer ~ Colorado Springs, Colorado


First visit: Feb 2022 (Powers)

It was their downtown location that caught my eye while visiting Bell Brothers brewery. Since we had such great luck at Brakeman's, let's try for another burger joint. It had been my intention to go downtown, but then I saw they have a second location out east, which is easier for us to get to (and free parking).

From a reputation standpoint, Skirted Heifer is the burger joint to try when in the Springs. It wins Best Of awards every year, and it's been featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. Which obviously means nothing to the RJG, since I never even heard of the place, even though we are big fans of Guy Fiori (though I don't watch his show much, I just get hungry). So the gimmick here is the way they melt the cheese. It's deep fried and laced around the bottom of the bun, to make what looks like... c'mon guess... a skirt! Weeee. Clever name indeed, and really a cool concept that I've never tried before. I mean it's not easy creating new concepts with the common hamburger. Remember when "infusion" was all the rage?

I loved it. I went with the Classic and added Pueblo green chiles, which were spicy this go round. Yahoo. The cheese is awesome, fried like those Greek restaurants, and is a meal in itself. Yummy fries accompany the dish. It's a big ol' sloppy hamburger, and whoa, did I feel full. I haven't felt that stuffed in many a month. So probably not that good for you, but what the heck, I definitely will be coming back.

The Mrs., however, will not. On the other side of the coin, she hated it. The burger was cooked well done, so they passed that crucial step. But the garlic focaccia bun was doughy. That's a huge no-no in the world of Mrs. RJG. Must toast - or at least heat up - the bread. I'm not so fussy, and the Mrs. can be a tough cookie to please sometimes. She also got the caramelized onions which were messily presented and way too oily / nasty. It's her own fault lol. She won't give it another chance and try something else, but that's Auntie RJG for you. I will, however, sneak back over again. Her vote counts though, and that's what kept the silver star off. Oh well. Next time I'll fly solo and reevaluate. Or maybe drag the Tampa Pound out with me...

Worth mentioning they have Boylan Bottling as their drink dispenser options. I didn't try it this go round, but I will get the diet cola next time.

As noted above, they have another location downtown.

2/13/22 (new entry)

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...