Monday, April 5, 2021

Las Animas Grill ~ Trinidad, Colorado


First visit: Mar 2021

Mrs. RJG and I were looking for a quick day trip, that allowed for some thriftin', eatin', and drinkin'. What we call TEDing. All these years living in Colorado, plus going back and forth to Texas and New Mexico, our knowledge of Trinidad is pretty much limited to getting gas on the way to and fro. Trinidad is, in fact, the very first place in Colorado I visited. I literally moved to Colorado sight unseen, having taken a new job in Colorado Springs via the phone. This was the end of November, 1993. I stopped at a local Mexican restaurant, which is now long gone. I recall little of the dining experience, only that I caught Trinidad at dusk, and it was strikingly beautiful to my eyes. When I left, it was already dark. My two cats and I completed the journey to Colorado Springs that night - everything pitch black to me. When I woke up the next morning at my new apartment, I looked out my window - and there was Pikes Peak. Can you imagine? I was 29 at the time. The only other visit was back in 1998, when the newly minted Mrs. RJG and I were to meet my parents "half way" in Amarillo. We stopped for a late breakfast, at a place that is also long gone. Every time we journey over Raton Pass, I state that we really need to spend more time there. And so we finally did it. But where to eat? Based on various online reviews, Las Animas Grill lit up large.

Las Animas Grill sits in downtown, in one of the many restored buildings. I believe this one goes back to 1901 (or maybe the 1800s?). Tall ceilings and it's a fairly spacious place with bar seating. Though they advertise craft beers, I wouldn't suggest you go here for that reason. Their tap offerings are mainstream. They do offer a bit more variety with their can selection, but still nothing you can't get elsewhere in Colorado. So we settled on water. Then we proceeded to order. Mrs. RJG was craving a cheeseburger, and so was I. Needed to be cooked well-done dictates Mrs. RJG. It's amazing to us how few restaurants actually listen to that simple request. But Las Animas cooked it to perfection and it was delicious. I added green chiles to mine, which were mild, but flavorful. We had the hand cut fries, which were also excellent. Las Animas is definitely geared more toward the gastropub side of the aisle, and feels chef driven. That comes with a cost, but we felt it was worth it. A wonderful overall experience to start our Trinidad day.

3/27/21 (new entry)

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...