Saturday, May 4, 2024

Rosie's Diner ~ Monument, Colorado


Latest visit: May 2024

First visit: Jun 2019

This is only my second visit to Rosie's, the first with Mrs. RJG five years ago when we had a late breakfast. At that time I was heavily into smothered green chile burritos, and I tried their variation. It was OK, but not exemplary. I vowed to return and try traditional diner fare. And five years later I finally fulfilled that promise. While Mrs. RJG is keeping her mom company, I found myself alone for a solo outing.

Rosie's is truly an old-fashioned diner, or at least made to replicate one. Lots of chrome, and solo counter seating for wayward travelers. On this visit I stayed true to my mission and had a cheeseburger and fries... ...with a mocha milkshake. Well... I just had too! To me shakes represent the old school diner experience as I recall them in the 1970s. For the burger they ask "pink or no pink". Mrs. RJG would like that! I went no pink myself. All came out as expected. Very good on the whole and worth a return visit. The shakes are old fashioned, and they have a separate metal container for you to pour in the remainder. In my case it was a little over two glasses full of ice creamery goodness. I walked out more stuffed than I prefer, but every once in awhile "ees OK" to do that. Next time I'll probably lay off the shake, despite my enjoyment of it.

I arrived right around 11:00 on a Saturday and it was packed. I can't remember the last time I saw a packed house on a Saturday for lunch. The prices are reasonable, though still no bargain. It's just a popular place. They're only open for breakfast and lunch and they close at 2. No late night eats here. Service was great as well.

The history is a bit confusing, and it would seem you are eating at a chain. Essentially Rosie's started as the Silver Dollar Diner in New Jersey and ultimately ended up in Michigan. Those of us of a certain age will remember Rosie the Waitress (as played by Nancy Walker) and she was a fictional character at that diner. Always picking up everyone's mess with Bounty paper towels, one of the most successful ad campaigns ever. They then renamed the diner after her! It appears they tried to "chain the concept" but it doesn't look like that ever got off the ground. There is another Rosie's up in Aurora, but it seems to be of a different ownership with the same concept.

6/29/19; 5/4/24 (new entry)

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...