Saturday, November 4, 2023

Shipley Do-Nuts ~ regional chain : Colorado Springs, Colorado


First visit: Nov 2023 (Colorado Springs - Interquest)

Locations: ~325 based on 2021 data. There are three in Colorado (one in Aurora, the other two in the Springs area). I seem to recall one locale in NE Tarrant, but there's plenty more now.

I remember that it was a big deal when Houston based Shipley came to the DFW area while we lived there. I've never been a donut guy, so I didn't actively pursue going to one. Well, now they're here too, like many Texas chains that followed us (haha). They're located right next to Bonchon and I thought maybe we should try it too? So it's Saturday morning, and I asked Mrs. RJG if she'd like a kolache and a donut? She said sure, so off I went. I don't think I've willingly paid for a donut since the 1980s (seriously). Called the insurance company to make sure my premiums were up to date... 

Reasonably active crowd on this morning, but I was able to order right away. Ordered two kolaches with sausage (one with jalapeno), one glazed donut and another cream filled. The latter was a favorite of my childhood. Back home, Mrs. RJG stuck the kolaches in the air fryer, and a couple of minutes later we're ready to eat. We split the kolaches first. Nice flaky crust. Essentially these are large pigs in a blanket, or fancy hot dogs. But the sausage was good tasting. Incidentally the sausage with the jalapeno is a little bit smaller (to fit them both in presumably). Kolaches are quite popular in Texas. It's a Czech specialty and they're particularly well known in a town called West. We'd been there a few times. When I think of kolaches I associate a sweet concoction filling - like jelly, jams, fruits, that sort of thing. But I'd rather have the sausage for sure (of course they have fruit fillings as well). In the Czech / Slovak region, they have a street food known as parek v rohliku, which is closer to what these kolaches are. Nothing near as great as those, but not a bad substitute. One of these days I'll share my experiences roaming around Europe in the early 90s. But parek's are probably my all-time favorite street food.

We then split the glazed donut. Mrs. RJG thought it was great, while I surmised it was typical of the style. Then came the vanilla creme filled donut. Oh, now it's my turn to be super happy. I haven't had one of these in forever, and boy did it taste good! Mrs. RJG didn't like it - too sweet for her she concluded. Two hours after eating that one donut (in aggregate) I was still wired like I had six cups of coffee. I just never eat like that. But it sure was fun this one time. Do we go back? Of course! But I probably won't.

11/4/23 (new entry)

Colorado Springs

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...