Sunday, September 22, 2024

Pass Key Restaurant ~ Pueblo, Colorado


Latest visit: Sep 2024 (Northern Ave.)

First visit: Nov 2023 (Northern Ave.)

Founded: 1952

They have one other location further north on US 50. There's also one in Pueblo West which appears to be a different owner, but same concept and recipes.

If there's a restaurant outside of Colorado Springs that I want to include in the RJG Rotation, it's Pass Key down in Pueblo. And I'm making the effort to do just that. Mrs. RJG joined me on this latest venture and she also really enjoy the Italian Sausage sandwich. I decided to forego the cheesy option and stuck with the original. Just so good really. Love their Italian sausage patties. We both noticed some gentleman chowing down on a bowl of pasta, and I'm going to make an effort to do that next time.

---original 11/18/23 review

I first heard about Pass Key on our local news here in Colorado Springs (and they cover Pueblo as well). A couple of years ago they were featuring local favorites of Pueblo and they mentioned the legendary Pass Key. I'd never heard of it, but they specialize in spicy Italian sausage sandwiches. OMG - that has my name all over it! I've been to Pueblo a few times since but never at lunch (only breakfast or dinner), but on this occasion I made Pass Key the destination, and all the other activities would surround it (records, thrifting, beer).

Got there before opening, and I watched as they put the open sign up five minutes before. Perfect. Fully staffed and the kitchen was sizzling already. While I was first in, many followed afterward. It's a sit down restaurant, though from the outside you might think it's a fast food place. I went straight for their specialty - Pass Key Special with cheese. It's a grilled flat Italian sausage patty with mustard, lettuce, and a pepperoncini on the side. No red sauce, it's not that kind of hoagie. With fries. So basically it looks like a sub sandwich, or even a hamburger, but with the sausage patty instead of meats or beef. First bite in, and I knew this is a place I want to go often. The bread is chewy like those Amoroso rolls from Philadelphia. And the sausage is extremely tasty - and yes, spicy too. Not kidding around. So, so good. The fries were hot if non distinctive. They provide a filling meal, but it's the sandwich you're here for. Next time I'm going to get the Super Special with extra cheese.

Excellent service and the place was close to capacity when I left. I've said it before, but it bears repeating - Pueblo is the restaurant capital of Colorado. The old steel city may have other flaws, but their food is the best. Worth the drive down from the Springs.

11/18/23 (new entry); 9/21/24

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...