Sunday, February 12, 2023

Mountain Merman Brewing ~ La Veta, Colorado


First visit: Feb 2023

As noted on the Tina's Family Cafe entry, our primary goal was to visit La Veta, one of the hidden gems on the Colorado tourist map. It's perfectly situated in a valley of mountains and its natural beauty is hard to beat. There are no crowds here, so if looking for a quick getaway, La Veta is a great choice. We just went for the day, and this is only the second time for us to do so. The last trip was quite memorable. In early October of 2021, I was still looking for my next job. I was on severance - but getting close to running out - from my Baltimore based gig that had ended due to divestiture (and why there are so many entries for the Charm City in the RJG). With interview opportunities coming in scarce and slow, Mrs. RJG and I decided to exit the doom and gloom of the prospect and go to La Veta, one of those towns we would constantly state "we should go there sometime". And we finally did. It was still a bit pandemic-y at that time, but we enjoyed a nice lunch at Mission Deli Mesa Bar and Grill (now dinner only, fyi). But why so memorable? Because while sitting at lunch, a recruiter called me about a great opportunity. What timing! Once back home, I followed up, and less than one month later I was a VP at the company - based in Baltimore of all things (also documented here somewhere). While that gig only lasted 6 months (nothing to do with me - change in business direction), I have nothing but great memories about it, and La Veta will always be part of that memory. Today I'm secure in another role (since July 2022), likely to take me to retirement. If I can handle it... haha. Anyway, lots of RJG entries from around the country are about to ensue because of this job. Chicago and Phoenix were just the beginning...

The other reason for my interest in going back to La Veta is they have a new brewery! Unfortunately they don't open until 2 in the afternoon, making the lunch decision in La Veta a difficult one. There's not that much to do there - and after a nice drive to Cuchara, one will find themselves with time on their hands. Hence we decided to spend the lunch hours in Walsenburg and head over here for beer afterwards.

We arrived pretty much right at 2 after driving to Cuchara (very much worth doing). Oh wow - what a nice brewery! Completely renovated downtown building with hardwood floors and a beautiful bar setup. Like I said about Walsenburg, it only takes a few innovative people to make a town go. I enjoyed both of my beers (one split with Mrs. RJG), cataloged in the Bier Reise. After quenching our thirst and walking over to Charlie's Market (another destination for out of towners), we headed back home to the Springs. Another great Saturday was spent. 

La Veta is absolutely worth a diversion if you have a little time. Whether coming from US-160 or I-25, take the detour on Colorado 12 and absorb La Veta. And stop by for a beer or 2 at Mountain Merman to get the full flavor - both figuratively and literally.

2/11/23 (new entry)

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...