Sunday, August 28, 2022

Pompilio's ~ Newport, Kentucky


Check out that historical photo from their website. That's just too awesome.

--- 

Truth be told, I fact check myself at many turns of the proverbial road. Partly this is driven by the immense mounds of BS floating around my brain, but getting older and having imperfect recall of places visited decades ago - and revisited recently - are cause for a refresher.

Case in point, Pompilio’s. For a few decades I have told folks elsewhere about visiting the restaurant from the toothpick scene in Rainman and incorrectly attributed this to Scotti’s. Now, don’t get me wrong, Scotti’s is also a fine establishment, up on Vine St on the Ohio side. But the 4-in-the-box joint is really Pompilio’s in Newport, KY.

Also only visited this place for lunch in the past. Way different animal. Tonight I tried dinner, and it was worth the trip!

Sitting at the bar - as is my want - guidance came from the gal behind the bar named Kristen. She guided me to the eggplant parm appetizer - not listed on menu - and it came out lovely and huge! (Spoiler alert - 50% left with me for lunch manana.) Now we are free to explore dinner.

One of my daughters made the not-too-pushy ask for a Chix Parm with vodka sauce recently. It was worth trying again! Ate the whole chicken and took last of the pasta with half the eggplant for lunch tomorrow.

Chicken very good, vodka sauce fresh, tasty, could use a skosh more spice. But all in all a thoroughly enjoyable meal!

Our fair bar-lass Kristen also guided me to a nice Chianti to accompany said feast. Bar sports a nice tap list, wide array of bourbon, a few of the usual suspects, still perusing as they have interesting selections.

In spite of confusion on Scotti’s vs Pompilio’s - now rectified - I’ll be back here for another meal (likely marsala!)

- Rude Dante review



No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...