Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Joe Benny's ~ Baltimore, Maryland


Latest visit: Sep 2019

First visit: Feb 2018

And here's the ULTIMATE Regular Joe's Guide kinda place. If there was ever a restaurant that defines the ethos of the Regular Joe’s Guide, it’s Joe Benny’s. Are you kidding me? It’s as if the restaurant was opened with a dogged determination to adhere to the commandments of the RJG. It’s a tiny sliver of a place nestled deep inside Little Italy. A “one row” kind of restaurant, where there’s a few bar stools, and then a handful of small tables. I can’t even imagine getting in here on the weekend, but for an early workweek evening, it’s quite pleasant. Start off with a reasonably priced glass of wine, and don’t hesitate to order a flatbread (Focaccia in the vernacular). This is – by far – the best flatbread pizza I’d ever had. Of course I had the Italian sausage, all locally made of course. The pizza sauce and hot melty creamy Burrata mozzarella cheese is to die for (get "The Sharini"). And then I was teased later by the meatballs, which are all made in house. Oh my goodness. Then there’s Joe Benny himself. As unpretentious as they come, and provides me an evening’s worth of great conversation and chatter - every time! And I suspect he can do that with just about anyone that is willing. And yes, it was Joe Benny who plopped a free meatball my way. The menu is very limited, and pasta is not always offered (but sometimes yes – including the standards). When folks come in looking for just that, he kindly points them to other restaurants in the area, with a recommendation, including RJG favorite Amicci’s. A pillar of the neighborhood for certain. Yes indeed, this has become my new hangout, and no business trip to Baltimore goes without at least one stop here. 

We even had a dish named for the Regular Joe's Guide for one month. 

Sloppy pour! :-)

2/28/18; 8/14/18 (new entry); 9/24/19

No comments:

Northern Cafe ~ Cerritos, California

Lady Music and I joined the BFF family to celebrate Lady Music's BFF's birthday. Northern Cafe on Second in Cerritos was the choice ...